Home of the Smurf Community

The place for new members to introduce themselves
Page 1 of 1
Postby LadyZod » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:19 pm
(Although with the monsoon style rains we've been getting lately here in Florida, it's not much of a sunshine state.)

Hi, my name is Anna and although I've just joined this forum, I've been visiting on and off for a while, along with some other Smurfy sites. I figured it's about time I joined in the fun.

A little about me and the Smurfs in my life:

I've been Smurfing since 1981, when my mom bought me my first one. (Baker, and I still have him all battered and beaten.) He was a bribe to keep me from crying everytime she tried to drop me off at school. Every thursday thereafter, if I was good and received good marks, I got to pick out a Smurf from the local stationary store about a block away from my elementary school.

I had a nice collection going, until I got old enough to walk to school by myself and no longer needed to be bribed to go to school.

Fastforward a billion years later (1998), and my first computer introduced me to the interweb. I discovered that Smurfs were still being made, and I could pick up some of the old ones I had as a child. I bought a bunch and showed them to my mom... who acting as mothers often do, went to her closet and pulled out a bag full of my childhood Smurfs. Yes, she had kept them. After that, I continued collecting and slowly began building my village.

My mom told me at one point, that she always wanted to buy me one of the mushroom houses for my Smurfs when I was little, but due to the cost she couldn't at the time. So the first thing I did was buy the biggest house I could find, and as many of the little ones as I could hold. That made her smile like nothing before. Every little bit, a wishing well, a snail cart, even a Smurf taking a bath... was just plain fun.

My mom past away before she got to see the village finish, and for a while after that, I couldn't bare picking up another piece for my collection, where it sat boxed for a couple of years. Then one day at a comic convention (FX) I saw a Smurf dealer for the first time (I go to comic conventions regularly, and never before have I seen Smurfs, much less a whole booth dedicated to them. Actually there were a few booths that day, but that is a story for another day.) My boyfriend at the time (husband, now) told me maybe it was a sign. So I bought a Smurf in a cage.

I haven't stopped buying since.

-Anna
Anna

Playing with Smurfs since 1981!:smurf1:

Postby SmurfingH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:30 pm
Hi Anna and welcome to the forum. :welcome: What a bittersweet story! :hug: I'm so glad you shared it with us!

Now we need pics of your collection! :-D

Postby southernyacht » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 pm
Hi Anna :wave2:

:welcome: Have a good time here!
Cathy x :cat:

Postby steveparkes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:44 pm
Hi Anna, what a great story, welcome to the forum..I am glad your mom kept your smurfs..I have some of mine since childhood, they remind me of such good times..I'd never ever part with them. Good to see you on the forum..like Hilary said..we need to see photos of your smurfs :)
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Pitufo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 pm
Hi, Anna!!!!!Great story!!!!And WELCOME TO THE BEST SMURFY FORUM!!!!!!!!!

You can own thousands and thousands smurf, but there are two kind of special smurfs: those smurfs that are from your childhood, and those smurfs with a sweet story behind them: presents of good friends, smurfs you have been looking for years and suddenly your girlfriend found it for you etc etc

HOPE YOU LIKE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
JOAQUÍN

Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 pm
:welcome: Anna

It is great to have another member from the US.

Have you seen more smurfs at comic conventions since then? I haven't been to any conventions in the US but it is exciting to know that some have smurf booths... :D Which convention was it?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:33 pm
:welcome: Anna ! That is one of the nicest introductions i have ever read :-) I hope you enjoy yourself here, i am sure you will :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Lia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 am
Hello Anna!

Nice to read your story!
Hope, you will enjoy the forum!

Lia

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 am
Hello and :welcome: to the smurfiest board around, Anna! :hiya:

Your story brought tears to my eyes. :( I bet as your mum will take care for you from above, she smiles everytime she is looking at your cuties.

Postby LadyZod » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:03 am
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Now, my collection is nowhere NEAR as complete or massive as some of the awesome collections I've seen posted here, but I'm happy with it.

I'm not so much a completist, as I am a collector that just buys the ones that strike my fancy. I'm a fan of the rustic Smurfs, those that LOOK like they would live in a Medieval world vs the "modern" looking Smurfs. There are no cell phones or electric guitars in my village. (The modern Smurfs will live on display when I get a space to nail up my store displays.)

So pictures, hopefully soon!

In regards to comic conventions, the first and ONLY time I found Smurfs was at FX in 2004. FX is a big comic and toy show held every year in Orlando, Florida. That year, there were several dealers just in Smurfs. The year after I found a couple of Smurfs here and there at some tables that happen to be dealers from the UK, but never again a complete booth dedicated to them.

Looking forward to some fun,

Anna

Postby FlamingO » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 pm
Hi Anna :hiya:
Welcome to the forum :welcome: Thank you for sharing your story :D

Hope you have a great time here :-D
Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am
my first one. (Baker, and I still have him all battered and beaten.)
I found that line kind of amusing....considering he is a Baker afterall :)

Welcome to the forum Anna and I apologise for my late reply to your post.

I am sorry to hear about your Mom, but I am sure she is glad that you continued to collect smurfs since she seemed so encouraging towards you and your collection.

Good luck with your future collecting :cheers:

Dyar

Postby Cassiebsg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 am
Welcome to the forum, I'm happy that you decided to join the fun. :-D

Nice story, I'm sorry about your mom, but I'm sure she'd be glad to see you picked up those little blue guys again, and that you even have a smurf village. :D
I'll be looking forward to see pics of your collection and village! :cheers:

(sorry about late reply, but I was sure I had welcomed you already... who deleted my post? :crazy: )

Sandra
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Postby Dreaming In Blue » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 pm
Hi :hiya: and welcome to the Forum!
~~Christine~~

Postby smurfer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:16 am
:welcome:

Welcome Anna !! :-D
Enjoy and have a Smurfy time here !! :-D
:cheers:
Page 1 of 1

Login