Home of the Smurf Community

Information about the community.
Page 1 of 3
Postby Rachel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 am
Hi Guys, well I had the lovely suprise to discover this morning that Blue Imps or rather our hosting companies server has been hacked and all the sites have been defaced.

I don't think there is a lot I can do until the servers are cleaned up and sorted out but I just wanted to apologise and explain that hopefully this problem will be sorted out very soon.

By the looks of it, many sites have been affected, certainly all of ours so it is just a case of sitting tight and waiting...... :banghead:

Sorry folks! :???:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:48 am
OMG that's awful!!! I'm really sorry to hear that. Will everything be backed up, Rachel? It's a reminder to everyone to make sure they back their sites up. How awful.. :(

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:52 am
Thats awfal news. :( :( :( :shock: Hope everything can be sorted out and get back to normal soon. :D
Smurfy regards, Steve. :D

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:06 am
Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! I hope it gets sorted asap Rachel ! :angry:

:-D :beer:

Postby steveparkes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:16 am
Thats Terrible Rachel :( :( How can anyone do something like that..it's so unsmurfy..I'll make sure I back mine up.
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Rachel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:30 am
Hi guys, Thanks for the support. :hug:

We still have everything fine on our computer so the worst case scenario, I will have to upload all the sites again but the hosting company does do backups as well so hopefully we should be fine. It is the hosting companies servers that have been hacked, not our computer so there was absolutely nothing we could have done which is something.

Oh well, keep fingers crossed we will be back to normal soon. :fingersx:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 am
Thats great news Rach glad everything is going to be ok. :-D I dont see why these people have to try and screw everything up for others i just dont see what they get out of it? But glad nothing bad will happen. :-D
Smurfy regards, Steve. :D

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:37 am
Do you think something similar happened to Shroom Room as their forum has been down for a couple of days?

I got a referral from Blue Imps at about 4am today so it must have been ok then, obviously the early worm caught the bird or the smurf for that matter.

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:51 am
Holy crap!!!! The same dudes hacked our little AK fan board (www.krucial-keys.com) last summer. :( :( :angry:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:28 am
That sucks Rach....I had no idea this was even possible but I hope everything can return to normal without making more work for you as you have had your hands full already with allof the work you have been planning to do with blueimps.

I wish they would find a better way of protesting without causing misery for others.

Dyar

Postby Rachel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm
Well no news so far although the horrible hackers screen has now gone so I imagine the hosting company is sorting it out. :-D

Apparently there have been MAJOR problems with sites all over the world for the last few days but it got even worse today with thousands of sites being effected.

Hopefully we should be back to normal soon I hope. :fingers:

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:29 pm
Hmmm thats just plain nasty....I agree they should find some other way to protest.
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm
I just don't see the point in protesting something about innocent people being hurt when they go out and affect other innocent people and cause more distress in the world......it doesn't make the world a better place and probably only causes more hatred on Earth....unless that is their mission anyway which seems a pretty sad state of affairs if it is.

I received an automatic reply from MV that the site was closed to excessive spam :-? ....I wonder if that site or server has been hacked as well.

Dyar

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:29 pm
Still no news I am afraid. :(

I noticed the MV board was down a few days ago, I didn't realise it still was but it does seem to be. I wonder if this is another hacking job with all the spam? :-?

Postby Smurfysmurf » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:40 pm
I hope both sites will be up very soon

Hang in there, Rachel....... :hug:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:37 am
Hi Rach, sorry to read that your site has been hacked. Is everything ok now? We hope everything is back to normal very soon . Lucie & Simon

Postby Cool Smurf » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:43 am
Man, that really stinks that someone would do that! I hope that both sites are going to be OK, too.
Robin, you dog, you- Vanity "The Adventures of Robin Smurf"

Postby Rachel » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:39 pm
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. :grouphug:

The hosting company is on the case so hopefully it shouldn't be long now. I have been given options to change servers if I wish to speed things up but I am afraid this might actually cause me more problems and as I am not running a business or totally dependant on my sites I will be patient and wait it out. :D

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:38 pm
I'm sorry to hear the hackers had touched this haven of Smurf.

In my former jobs I used to catch hackers attempting to gain entry to our medical databases ... about one every 18 months or so. The police over here are powerless to do anything about them, so all we did was media containment so that the company didn't loose the faith of their customers. One time I did catch a teenager who used our 0800 number to attempt entry.. I found him lon his third attempt but apparently he had attempted 1700 places in a week. We theatened his Grandmother with cancellation of her phone and 0800 number fraud (the kid was calling from her place). This had a maximum of $300 fine and caused the do-gooders to blame us for beating up on a defencless granny's only phone line. She should have been looking after her kid is all I say. They got off without a punishment because the kid didn't successfully gain access to the system.

Another time before I was employed there, the son of the competitors CEO did actually log on to the system and take a look around. This CEO was later employed at medlab and when she tried to get her son a job there I vitoed it.

Another time when I was running an ISP, I saw a runaway program being run by a client. He was stupid enough to leave the source code in his homedrive and so I quickly saw it was a pass word cracking program. I killed it and suspended his fathers account (he was using that) and phoned them up. Being paying customers my boss didn't kick them out and I was forced to reinstate them - luckily I didn't have to appologise to the customer.

Over here we have minimal protection for the victoms of these attacks although if they did gain entry, it would be *my* job for not preventing them. :angry:

I hope the perpitrator is caught or atleast something bad happens to them.
Page 1 of 3

Login