Home of the Smurf Community

Information about the community.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Rachel » Sun May 13, 2007 1:56 pm
Hi all, we are having a problem with a spammer at the moment who we can't delete and by me making a HUGE error by activating the account, can post spam and rubbish links. :banghead: :banghead:

The member is 8200

PLEASE, do not click on any of the links as they are probably not safe. I will be looking into getting this sorted as soon as possible.

Sorry. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 2:08 pm
Sorry, Sorry i hear you say ! :angry:

I'll slap your legs for you when i see you ! 8-) 8-)

Only joking Rachel, its not your fault ! :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun May 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Thanks for the warning, Rachel :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun May 13, 2007 8:54 pm
Thanks for the warning, Rachel :D
Just echoing what Moey said...thanks Rach :cheers:

I have one thing to say about people like this......but it's too nasty to post here :angry:

Dyar

Postby lordsmurf » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 pm
There are phpbb options to delete all zero-post users. Most of them are spam anyway, I would bet. Might be a good idea.

Postby XoioX2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 am
Unfortunatly in this case I disagree LordSmurf: There is a number of poeple on this board who have 0 post but we know are real people: We meet them at the fairs and invariably they know what's going on the forum but don't feel they can contribute yet or want to read for a while before they post. It is fair enough, we can't ban them all.
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby lordsmurf » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:45 pm
Unfortunatly in this case I disagree LordSmurf: There is a number of poeple on this board who have 0 post but we know are real people: We meet them at the fairs and invariably they know what's going on the forum but don't feel they can contribute yet or want to read for a while before they post. It is fair enough, we can't ban them all.
Several forums now have it where a member must make one "hello" post in a test/check-in area, because of this. Then you can always use the CAPTCHA plug-in (or competing ones) to reduce false registers. Plus, if they have no posts, they can always re-register. It's not like they lost anything.

Another forum has elected to do a reg-approval method, where a mod or admin has to approve a new registration. At reg there is a small field that asks "Why do you want to join?" and real answers will almost never be given by a spam bot. It might seem like a lot of work to approve new members, but they say it's less work than removing spam and spammers.

There are several ways to effectively fight spam. Sad to hear it's a chore around here.

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:57 pm
Another forum has elected to do a reg-approval method, where a mod or admin has to approve a new registration.
Hi, Lordsmurf...we currently have it set up that a mod must approve all new registrants. Not sure about the question part though as I don't get involved in those technical areas :) I've pushed too many wrong buttons in the past so Rach won't let me do certain things :o :-?
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:13 pm
I've pushed too many wrong buttons in the past so Rach won't let me do certain things
:relieved:

Thanks, Rachel :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Pitufo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:20 pm
Hi, everyone!!!!!I agree David: we know some smurfy friends are members of the forum but they nevcer have sent a message...

And I agree Lordsmurf: we must look for a way to avoid spammers!!!!!!I hate when I see we have a new member and it is that knid of people :o :o :o :o
JOAQUÍN

Postby Rachel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 pm
Good to hear different opinions and info guys. :-D

I agree the spam members joining does seem to be getting worse and it may well be worth making an announcement to all members to at least post once so we can try and sort out the pure spammers. Certainly worth thinking about for the future. :D

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:04 pm
One thing you can always do, as a mod or admin who has control over membership, is Google the new member - either by username or email address. Most times those that are spammers and/or bots will come up with multiple forums where they never post (also strange places or foriegn forums where the person can't be able to speak all those languages) or have already been spotted and are listed as such.

:D

btw - this is my post to show I am real and not a bot. 8-)

Postby ctsmurf910 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:19 pm
here's my first post as well, not a bot. I'm a member of a few other forums and there seem to be alot of bots coming on them as well.

Postby Tojo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:26 pm
Hi Smurfster01, hi ctsmurf910 :welcome:

Hope to see you here more often. Have you been collecting long? How big are your collections? photos?

Enjoy yourselves here at the smurfiest place on the web.

:cheers:
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby ctsmurf910 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:29 pm
I'm the worst collector here I have 0 smurfs. I'm interested in them though and I might buy some.

Postby Tojo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:47 pm
That's cool. When I joined up here I only had a couple of smurfs, about 4 if I'm not mistaken, I now I have around 300. Not a big collection by most standards but IT'S MINE :) :)
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby ctsmurf910 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:01 pm
good I was afraid I might get banned. after 2 posts.

Postby Rachel » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:25 pm
Hi smurfster01 and ctsmurf910, Thanks for posting to let us know you are genuine and of course welcome aboard. :welcome:
One thing you can always do, as a mod or admin who has control over membership, is Google the new member - either by username or email address.
I agree, this is something I have been doing for some time. Some spam members are fairly obvious but I often google to name just to double check. Great tip, Thanks. :-D

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:37 am
Welcome to this smurfy board, smurfster01 and ctsmurf910 :welcome:!!!

Where are you from? :)

@ctsmurf910: You needn't feel bad. :hug:

Postby ctsmurf910 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:39 pm
U.S..
Page 1 of 2

Login