Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Cool Smurf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:37 pm
I've been suffering from depression ever since I was a late teenager. If you have it, how do you cope with it? I like listening to music.
Robin, you dog, you- Vanity "The Adventures of Robin Smurf"

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm
First of all, let me say, I am sorry to hear that...I have friends that suffer from depression as well and it's so hard on them and their families.

I don't suffer from clinical depression, but like everybody I have my moments when I am depressed...going on a walk thru the woods helps me a lot during those times.
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby bwalters » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:23 pm
I proibibly should be depressed. I have lived alone for over 20 years. Belive it or not when I start to get down even a little I go to a store and buy something for someone else. Wether I go out and give it away right then or wait doen't matter. Usually I do things like go to Arby's and buy a bunch of chocolate shakes or Dairy queen and get dilly bars. I always cheers me up to make someone else smile. I need to find a contact down here but normally at christmas I have christmas cards made with my company info and put a candy cane with the card or choc kiss. Valentines I had out these things called Wack A Pack. They can be found a dollar Gen or Deals 4 for a dollar. 3rd week in April is National Secretary's week I go all out and give out flowers to every lady I have contact with Customers, Watress, girl at the check out in a convience store. That is my favorite week.
Mr Bill

Postby bwalters » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:38 pm
Sorry I didn't finish the part about the contact down here. I had a girl in columbia that made christmas cards for me. I need one down here. Oh and the girls in the office always get a basket or box goodies from me on valentines. For the past 6 years I worked the basketball and football games at Mizzou. Every now and then I would go to someplace that sells hot wings and bring them to the game, the photragraphers and sports reporters loved that. And no I am not wealthy, but I am rich with friends. lol I also us humor to make people laugh. It also gets converasations going with people. 1 thing I do is no matter what time of day it is I say good morning. sometimes the people just say it back, but most of the time they say (its not morning) then I say it is for me I just woke up. From the responce you get you can tell if you can joke with people or not.
Mr Bill

Postby Tracker Smurf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:46 pm
hmmmm... in alot of respects I have mild bipolar traits ( I refuse to take medication though I did at one time... my wife thought that it changed who I was)... My ups are really up and my downs are bad (with traces of Paranoia). I get by with prayer (which has helped me realize what great blessings I have) and a lot of discussion with loved ones to help me rationalize my depression. Things have been much better over the last five years or so and I can't really remember the last time i had a major bought of hopelessness.

Postby SmurfingH » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:40 am
I have depression too and haven't been able to work for some years because of it. One thing I always do is look back every so often to see how far I've come. For instance, I'm never entirely the same person I was 12 months ago - in a good way. :D During bad times I eat a lot of crap and spend more money than I should although this is improving. Consequently I'm overweight and poor! Humour helps me a lot too - and friends are essential!! I am very blessed to have some very good, close and trusted friends both locally and further afield. Smurfing has helped me a lot as it has brought me in contact with many wonderful people and I don't tell them often enough just how special they are! I have a strong Christian faith too and that helps a lot although it is not a cure all. I do take medication and have accepted that I may be on it for the rest of my life, but if that's what keeps me on an even keel then so be it. I am also very close to my parents which helps a lot although sometimes they are the problem, but that's family dynamics for you! :) :)

I have often found Christmas to be a very difficult time of year and it's only the last 2 Christmases (including this one) that I've really started to enjoy and celebrate it again.

Hang in there. It does get better and I'm living proof!

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:00 am
Dear Cool Smurf,

first of all, I want to let you know that you are not alone. I understand you very well, since I have been suffering from depression ever since I was twelve. There were times then I felt all alone and seeked for someone whom I could talk to. When I was with my family or with my then so-called "friends" however, I felt as they were not listening to any of my problems. Then I prefered loneliness. Sometime later, I realized that these friends were nothing but big pretenders, who were nothing but self-serving. Around the same time, I was bullied by most classmates, who thought I was just strange, for I wasn't found of brands and was interested in other things than they were. Around the same time I happened to meet Manni. We were introduced by a person, we both knew and suddenly things got better. Despite we were divided by age and gender, we came along very well, just as if we had known each other
for years. And then I was even all beaten up in Italy by some of my classmates, thinking about commiting suicide, he spent hours on the phone and listened to what I was saying and moreover cheered me up.
Sometime later, he told me that he went through deprission after his wife had died of cancer and after his daughter had commited suicide and that he didn't want to loose me as well. :( Half a year later, Manni and me were not only friends, but dad and daughter. :D

Even later, I was happy to have found... this place!!! As Hilary pointed out, I never ever thought that a community would have so many wonderful people around and that we not only talking, but showing how much we care for each other. (I love you guys!!! :grouphug:)

Every now and then, I do certainly feel depressed, but not as much as in the old days. Hang on Cool, you are not alone. We are there for you and if you need someone, just feel free to pm.

Love xxx,
Dom

P.S. My story is very long and will be posted soon.

Postby Pitufo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:30 am
I am happy some of you have used the smurfs like a help. I don´t suffer of depressions but it is true that smurfs have been a good way for forgetting bad moments!!!! :D
JOAQUÍN

Postby Tojo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:12 pm
I also am one of the lucky people who don't suffer from depression. I must admit that I have been very lucky over the years & things could have turned out very differently.

When I do feel under the weather however I find that listening to music cheers me up. I have a large collection of cd's & vinyl & listen to music the whole day if possible.

My smurf collection also cheers me up when I look into my cabinet at all of those smiling faces. The people here at the forum are special friends too & if you ever need someone to talk to then this is a great place to find some support & someone to chat to.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby bundleofkent » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:27 pm
I don't want to sound trite but one word : EXERCISE

I'm a hospital doctor and have seen tonnes of psychiatry inc mood disorders. For unipolar, recurrent, non-reactive depression, exercise is the best treatment by a mile. No joke-running/cycling/swimming.....

Trust me...

In the UK a lot of people are labelled "depressive" and placed on antidepressants and they aren't. They may be cyclothymic but they are not depressed, more pissed off with life, how they look, their job etc

True clinical depression is scary- mood swings, melancholia etc is a nuisance but nowhere near as severe

Martin

Postby stampysmurf » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:33 pm
Sorry to hear you are going through some tough times. Maybe try to look at things differently than you are looking at them right now and try to focus on the good things in your life instead of the negative things. Even if you have to sit down and write it down on a piece of paper and tape it to your fridge where you can see the list everyday. Also get outside as much as you can and exercise!

Postby Cool Smurf » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:28 pm
Thanks, everyone.

My depression, when I was a teen, was so bad that I tried to commit suicide. My depression's still bad, but not that bad.
Robin, you dog, you- Vanity "The Adventures of Robin Smurf"

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 am
I think being part of a community like this one must help. I'm not a doctor or anything but I really do feel that, as Bill says, one thing that always helps me feel better is making others feel good. Unexpected gifts or sometimes even just a note from the blue can help.

Also, I started a lot more 'walking' recently. Not only did I lose weight it also helped a lot with my confidence. I think excersize is also a great idea.

Oh... and collecting Smurfs! Nothing beats a hobby. xx

It's great to see how many people here support each other. I hope my words, uneducated as they may be, do help. xx
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Schleicher » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 pm
Just to let you know that you are not alone and there is hope for you. I have been depressed for about five years and seriously depressed for two years and totally recovered after having a therapy including medication.
If you want to feel better quick, I also reccomend excersizing. Even if it is just walking for an hour. Just make sure you are out of breath at least once a day.
Talking with someone that listens to you and re-living hard times as a youth/kid through talking with a professional is what really helped me.
Good luck and I hope you can leave the depressions behind some day.
Postby PonySmurf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm
I've been suffering from depression ever since I was a late teenager. If you have it, how do you cope with it? I like listening to music.
It's tough to deal with. I sometimes think it's hereditary. My mother has it and takes medication. I have battled it on/off over the years. My parents divorced in 1998 so the two years after that time was really rough. There was a time when I was out of work in 2008 for nearly 6 months. That was horrible. I would pace the room at night and wake up with panic attacks. Very bizarre. I guess it depends (for me) on my stress level. Music, keeping busy (staying creative), playing guitar, and being with friends really helps.
Page 1 of 1

Login