Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:35 pm
As some of you may have heard, this week was a tragic week for us in the South. Storms visited the South from Mississippi over to Alabama and up to Tennessee and North Carolina.

The areas hit worst in our area were Apison, TN and Ringgold, GA which are really suburbs of Chattanooga now..so needless to say, I have a lot of friends living in that area.

Wednesday of this week, was the day when we were visited by around 5 storms althrough the day..one storm worse than the other. By evening, the third storm hit with hail, strong winds (around 80 mph) and torried rain. It got a bit nerve wrecking, when a circular cloud was sighted to come right at Cagle Mountain where I live and even I got ready to jump in the closet to take cover in case I hear the treaded train sound (which usually announces a Tornado is right upon you). I spent most of the storm at the window (worst thing you can do) watching my stupid pups who had nothing better to do than to sit the storm out..instead of going inside their dog houses. The wind was blowing so hard that it blew the rain water away and for a while my property looked like the raging sea.

By the time, this part of the storm was over for me, it hit Chattanooga (one hour south of me) and thru Facebook updates I was able to see that Chattanooga and Ringgold would be hit hard again...then the power went out at my house and it became really scary. All I could hear was the torrid rain again, the wind..and see the ligthening which seem to hit us at 60 ligthening strikes a minute...I literally did not need any light in the dark as the storm lit up my house very "nicely". It was so strong that I felt like I was struck by ligthening every time another one showed up. The storm eventually stopped..but it took another 4 hours before I got my power back, which was actually a short time. My parents, down in the valley, did not get their power back until yesterday about 48 hours after they lost power..and several people we know still not have their power back.

The next day, Thursday, was the day we all had look for any damage and casualities. As hard as it is to believe, I did not have any damage..not even one tree was down.....when I realized that my property had been spared once again, my knees buckled.

Unfortuntely, Ringgold and Apison were not spared...as of today over 70 people lost their lives during the storms, countless homes and businesses are destroyed...you can say that the wider area of Chattanooga is a war zone. I have several friends who are living in the areas affected the most, and my heart breaks for them. It was a frantic search all thru Thursday to see if we can account for everybody..and I am so happy to say, that all of my friends came out unhurt..although not all came out unscatched. Several have damage done to their homes, or know of somebody who did not survive the storms. Our area was officially hit by F4 and F5 Tornados..and it has been the worst storm ever to hit our area.

Officially, no Tornado hit Dunlap, the little town I live close by, however, as I drove around today, I have to believe a small Tornado hit our small town as well, as the damage is just too much like Tornado damage (usually in a line and kind of random). My parents had a tree fall on their fence but it did not hit their house, so again...so thankful we were all spared.

Since you may have seen pictures of the worst damage on TV, and since I won't go to Chattanooga until all roads are open again, I thought I share a few pictures of what Dunlap looks like. I was told that on Thursday, it looked much worse, but we have an awesome community that comes together in time of need and lot of the damage is already removed.

Sign for local announcements was blown over

Tree falling on top of my parents fence

Tree fell down right in front of my parents house and blocks part of the road off. A lot of trees are down further up the road behind the red truck

All that is left is the stump of an old tree

Tree uprooted and toppled on a house

Cleaning up the damage
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 pm
Pictures from around the town

uprooted tree moved the sidewalk as well

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Tintin » Sun May 01, 2011 2:00 am
Hi Maureen

When i look at the pictures and to read the story it's amazing that nothing happend to you and your family.
Only a fence.......... i think that is just a small damage compare to the houses i see on the pictures.

I am very glad that you are ok.
Strange that it didn't bother the dogs...............

Greetings and the best to all your family and friends !!!!

Tintin

Postby Lia » Sun May 01, 2011 2:09 am
Of course, we all saw the images on TV..
you were truely lucky Maureen!!

Postby PonySmurf » Sun May 01, 2011 3:14 am
thank God you're alright ... that is some scary damage. That area of the US doesnt normally get hit that hard does it?

Postby bwalters » Sun May 01, 2011 5:44 am
Really glad that you are OK, and that you had no damage. As for the train noise that people talk about. I certainly hope it is louder than the train that runs in front of my house. When it is comming from the north, most of the time, by the time Max and I hear it. It is only about 10 seconds away. I usually hear it before Max does.
Mr Bill

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 am
thank God you're alright ... that is some scary damage. That area of the US doesnt normally get hit that hard does it?
No, we don't...we are used to storms, but Tornados aren't that common although they've been picking up in the last few months. The good thing was that we knew the storms would be severe and pretty much everybody knows what to do in case of a Tornado...so I think that saved a few people's lives.

Hidden in the Woods

Postby bwalters » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 am
It's weird that people don't leave their houses and go to someplace that has a basement when storms are comming. I did that myself when the tornado hit down here Dec 31st. I was standing out in the back yard watching it go south of me. My sriens were going off, but I just stood there with Max.
Mr Bill

Postby stampysmurf » Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 pm
Glad your ok Maureen!

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Wed May 04, 2011 2:49 am
OMG Moey!!!! :shock: Thank God you're doing fine. :relieved: I watched those terrible news, thinking of you and your family.

Postby PonySmurf » Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 pm
We just had a tornado in Auckland a few days ago! It was crazy... NZ never get tornadoes... very frightening. It pulled a man up off the ground and slammed him into a concrete wall killing him. Thank God no one else was hurt. There was about 10 million dollars worth of property damage done, so I've heard.

Postby stampysmurf » Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 pm
How Scary for you! Glad you are ok!

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Fri May 06, 2011 3:22 am
Oh my, so glad you're fine!!!

Postby Tojo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 am
I'm glad to hear that no-one was hurt where you are Maureen. It is incredible how much damage such a storm can cause :shock:

Last year a storm went through our village, aparrently not a tornado but it was very, very localised - only 2 streets were affected :shock: Our house remained unscathed but the birch tree right behind the house (taller than the house) suffered badly - the top was ripped off. The car salesroom around the corner lost its metal roof which was peeled off like on a sardine can. We found bits of isolation material from it weeks later in our garden.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:
Page 1 of 1

Login