Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:31 pm
I watched "The Smurfs and the Magic Flute" video the other day and in it Johan was called "John" and Peewit was called "William". It has got me very confused. What is going on? :scratchinghead:

Then I watched "Tis the Season to be Smurfy" and the little boy in that was called William as well. What is it about the name William? Are all boys in smurfdom called William?

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 pm
Mrs Dyar's grandfather's name is William Williams...lol....although he is a bit scary to pick on so I don't :argue:

Dyar

Postby lordsmurf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:25 pm
The Magic Flute movie was done in Europe in the 70s. It has zero relation to the Hanna Barbera series. Voices, names, etc. All different.

The Hanna Barbera toons ran from 1982-1989 for a total of 260 half-hour (syndicate term) episodes. It also had 6 or so specials, like the Christmas ones.

When it comes to names, Smurfs have never been that inventive. The cartoons were not always canon to Peyo either, but very good anyway.

The Magic Flute names were probably just lost in translation. It was not made in English.

I'm still trying to find any Aussies that may have recorded the season 8 episodes. Those are really the only ones I've never seen.

Postby swarlock » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:45 am
I'm still trying to find any Aussies that may have recorded the season 8 episodes. Those are really the only ones I've never seen.
I have a few of these episodes scattered in different videotapes. They were pretty good too.

A lot of the earlier episodes were retooled for American TV because at the time a lot of "concerned parents" saw the shows as Advertising gimmicks for the figurines. Which they were, but even so it shouldn't have taken away from the positive aspect of the line.

That law has since changed.
Friendship is everything.
Page 1 of 1

Login