Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Pitufo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 am
After reading at "Peyo, l'enchanteur" the origin of the word "schtroumpf" I have been wondering if the word smurf, schtroumpf, schlump, puffo etc is a common word in your language.

The word "pitufo" is present in my life everyday of course. Everyone here knows what a "pitufo" is and we use this word for example for referring to someone very short or even for speaking about the children. It is used to speak about the policeman with a pejorative sense. But for me an pitufo is a SMURF...

The language evolves. For this reason Real Academia Española, Spanish institution specialized in lexicography, grammar, spelling and linguistic data, must be aware of the changes in the language. For the moment, the word "pitufo" doesn´t appear at the dictionnary...is it the same for other languages?????
JOAQUÍN

Postby SmurfingH » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:05 am
I'm not aware of any other meaning for "smurf" in English. Would be fun to find out! Fascinating topic Joaquin!! :-D :) :)

Postby Tintin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:19 am
Hi Joaquin

I used the dictionary but no translation came up in Dutch :-D
How do you came up with such a question ???? Have you been smoking something :inhale: :smile:

Tintin

Postby lobo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:22 am
Funny!
I thought the word "pitufo" did exist in Spanish dictionnary as a synonim of little child.Imagine how usual is this word...
It happens in catalan too because we use "barrufet" in the same way.

Postby Pitufo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 am
Hi Joaquin

I used the dictionary but no translation came up in Dutch :-D
How do you came up with such a question ???? Have you been smoking something :inhale: :smile:

Tintin
Smoking????? :) :) :) Perhaps I had drunk a bottle of red wine????
JOAQUÍN

Postby Tintin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:00 am
Hi Joaquin
Smoking????? Perhaps I had drunk a bottle of red wine????
It's ok then :cheerz:
Just a small joke, you know me :-D

Tintin

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 am
I checked dictionary.com and here is what they say
Financial Dictionary
Smurf definition

Slang for somebody who frequently launders money.

Investopedia Commentary

Not the same as those cute blue creatures we all remember so fondly. Instead, it describes someone much more like their nemesis Gargamel.

Slang Dictionary

smurf definition
[smɚf]
n.
someone who “cleans” ill-gotten money by buying cashier's checks at banks and shifting funds from place to place, often in small transactions. (Underworld. From the name of a type of cartoon character. See also greenwash, launder.) : I think the guy at the first window is a smurf. He's in here twice a week with $9,500 in cash each time.
tv. & in.
to shift illicit money from place to place to conceal its origin, often in small transactions. (Underworld.) : I smurfed a fortune for a famous drug kingpin and got fourteen years up the river—with some very interesting people.
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Cite This Source

Computing Dictionary
smurf definition
jargon
/smerf/ (From the news:soc.motss Usenet newsgroup, after some obnoxiously gooey cartoon characters) A newsgroup regular with a habitual style that is irreverent, silly, and cute. Like many other hackish terms for people, this one may be praise or insult depending on who uses it. In general, being referred to as a smurf is probably not going to make your day unless you've previously adopted the label yourself in a spirit of irony.
I was aware a computer worm being called smurf but did not know of the other definitions.

In every day life, I've heard a small person/child refered to as a smurf as well :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter
Page 1 of 1

Login