Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 1
Postby attombomb7 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:43 pm
hi

will the rising euro and CDn dollar effect the USA buys on EBAY!??

it seems a good time to buy on USA EBAY?? and forgot europe for a while if you are from the USA & Canada or even AUstralia?>??

do you guys bid this way and consider the exchange rates??

just curious! :))

TORONTO - The Canadian dollar continued to rise Thursday, adding to the 1.3 cent jump it took on currency markets Wednesday.

The loonie was up 0.39 of a cent to 83.01 cents US in late afternoon trading.

Dec. 29, 2004: Loonie soars over a cent
Analysts say the main factor in the currency's rise is a weakening U.S. dollar, which continues to be dragged down by concerns over ballooning trade and budget deficits.

The euro also reached a new high against the greenback, hitting 1.3666 US before edging back to 1.3644 in late afternoon trading.

Some analysts have predicted the euro will reach $1.40 US or higher by the end of 2005.
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:18 pm
Well it makes a difference to my bids, Attom. Now I can bid a little more. We used to pay about $1.40AU for $1US dollar but now its about $1.27AU for $1US. It helps because its usually the postage cost that gets you.

Surprisingly though I've had quite a few people from the US buying smurfs from me. Its not such a good deal for them with the dollar being down but then maybe I'm listing them too cheap ;)
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:48 pm
It's really the GBP that we have to wary of when buying/bidding because for Australia it is around $2.40-$2.50 Aus for every British Pound. I have been caught out in the past bidding up 10 pounds not realising I was bidding up $24-$25 Aust. I am pretty used to most of the currencies now so I have a good guage but it doesn't affect my bidding too much as I always go on the actual price anyway of an item. I do wish that $1 (or 1 pound or euro) was the same everywhere....that would make a huge difference to our collections down here.

Dyar

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:32 am
I would buy more from the US but the UK are slapping these extra customs charges on to try and stop us in our tracks!

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:51 am
I don't know anything about custom charges here in Australia or even if we have them. I haven't had to pay anything on any of the packages I've received. Have you, Dyar?

Postby chesneysmurf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:57 am
It doesn't really affect me because I just buy from the US. It's a lot cheaper on shipping.
Lacey

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:02 am
Thats the trouble with Australia, there isn't that much here to buy. We have to look overseas as the range here is very limited. Thats probably why I'm getting some good prices for some of the stuff I sell.

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:47 am
I don't know anything about custom charges here in Australia or even if we have them. I haven't had to pay anything on any of the packages I've received. Have you, Dyar?
Nah we don't have any of that stuff Linda. I do get comments from sellers that ask if we do or they insure it for less or things like that so we don't have to pay as much...but I just tell them that we don't pay any import fees....thank god...we have to pay enough.

Dyar

Postby attombomb7 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:46 pm
hi~! thanks for all the response..

I sort of bid first then panic later! too!

but it makes such a difference when I getmy paypal bill later!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

it never matches EBAY's with the exchange rates!..
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby Rachel » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:44 am
I have to admit that the exchange rates recently has worked very well for us in the UK, especially buying things from USA. I think it is almost 2 dollars to the pound which makes quite a difference when for such a long time the rate was more like 1.5 dollars to the pound. Mind you we do get stung with importation tax sometimes and that can bump things up a bit.

Personally I would love UK to join the Euro as I am sure it would make paying for smurfs in Europe so much easier. In fact, maybe someone can answer this?

Is it possible to pay using a personal cheque within Europe but to different countries that use the Euro? eg. If you live in Belgium, can you send a cheque to someone in Germany?

It was far more difficult to work out exchange rates before the Euro was introduced, so many different currencies. Sometimes it was difficult just trying to remember which country used which currency. :shock:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby IndigoSmurf » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Exchange rates are killing my account :banghead:

The Euro has gone up against the dollar which means my wins in Germany are higher now. :(

Postby attombomb7 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:37 pm
Exchange rates are killing my account :banghead:

The Euro has gone up against the dollar which means my wins in Germany are higher now. :(
HI! Chrsitne!

I'm in the same boat! :( :( :( :(
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:53 pm
Hi Christine & Attom.....I used to be in that same boat but now I am slightly under the water...in a submarine.....if you see a hand rising from the water...please lend me hand to get my head above water once more...lol

Dyar

Postby IndigoSmurf » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:55 pm
Will do! Especially if there is a bandleader in your hand when I spot it... :)

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:40 pm
Hi Attom,

You raised a good point regarding the declining dollar. I find it ironic that Britain is slapping tariffs for imports. Heh, heh, pretty soon we Americans will be dumping kilos of cheap goods on England, and when you Britishers visit us, we'll be chasing you down the street shouting, "Sir! Sir! Gimme pound sterling. You got pound sterling? Sir! Sir!" (if you've ever been to India, you'll know what I'm talking about....)

Luckily, I've found the American market to be reasonably rich in smurfs, with a lot of toyshops selling old-stock retired stuff as though it were new (in December, I bought a new Smurf Western Playset from an on-line toy store in Florida that sells smurfs as an aside--they were blissfully indifferent to the fact that the playset is now a collector's item).

However, as Attom implies, this isn't the time for an American to get into a bidding melee with a Briton or European. American ebay usually increments at the dollar or half-dollar. When British ebay does the same in pounds, that's quite an increment over here (plus conversion costs and overseas shipping).

:banghead:

Postby Tor » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:04 am
I buy more from the US now that the dollar is so low.
/Tor

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:09 am
In Australia we don't have much choice but to buy from overseas. I have been told by many sellers overseas over the last 12 months that it's too expensive for me to buy &/or post from Europe, America & Canada but what they don't realise is that would mean I just don't purchase the items full stop as they are not as common or non existent here in Australia.

Unfortunately the Australian dollar is very weak against most countries but I guess (as do the Canadians who's dollar is very similiar to ours) that we are now used to this fact and have learnt to accept it.....I guess Canadians are a little better for postage distance and with more smurf items available in Canada or the closer countries in the US & even Europe being closer. The up side for us is that besides the traditional Aussie dutch over (apparently...no one told me) is that we get to live in paradise....lol :-D

Dyar
Page 1 of 1

Login