Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Rachel » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:09 pm
Hi all, I had an email yesterday from a lady in Cardiff (capital of Wales) enquiring about Blue Imps and smurf collecting. Basically, if I was a Welsh speaker they would have featured me and my smurfs on a Antiques & Collectibles programme on S4C the Welsh TV channel. Unfortunately I don't speak much Welsh, just enough words to understand very basic things, so I really thought better of it. The nice lady that I spoke to Today did suggest I might do a crash course in learning Welsh but as I have tried many times over the years (I even teach in 3 Welsh speaking schools) I really don't think it is ever going to happen. :(

The lady was very interested still in the smurfs and asked all sorts of questions about our collection and how popular the hobby is and basically couldn't believe just how many smurfs are out there. It is a shame that I couldn't promote the smurfs on TV but if are there any WELSH speakers reading here, please let me know as I have told the lady that I would try to find a collector and I am sure it would be great fun. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:14 pm
That's too bad Rach as it sounds like it would be fun....another TV celebrity on here with their 15 seconds of fame :)

I saw the guy from MV (andrew NY...I think) on TV here in Australia and even taped it as it was a great segment....would of loved to see you on the tele as well but I am sure if anything smurfy does come up in Wales then you would be the obvious first choice to ask.

Dyar

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:15 am
All you need to say is "I'm the only smurf collector in the village, you know!"

Sorry I have "Little Britain" on the brain right now, people must think I have lost the plot!!!

For all those who know nothing of Little Britain here is a link and I am talking about one of Dafydd's quotes. Still not funny I know but I am trying, lol. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/little ... ters.shtml

Postby Bunno Smurf » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:39 pm
I've seen Vicky Pollard. She was in the Australian Reader's Digest this month. Apparently she's the ultimate "chav". A chav being someone who drips in fake designer clothes. The article was called "A Century of Buzz Words.

It was pretty interesting what some of the buzz words were for some years. Some of the words I would've thought were a bit newer than when they were the buzz word, some were just plain silly and others can't be mentioned in the non-adult section.

1907 Egghead
1909 tiddly-om-pom-pom
1924 lumpenproletariat (<----don't even know what that is)
1938 Cheeseburger
1941 snafu
1945 Mobile phone (have they been around that long?)
1947 Wonderbra
1976 Trekkie (lol)

Ok post hijacking over. Live long and prosper.
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:29 pm
1907 Egghead
1909 tiddly-om-pom-pom
1924 lumpenproletariat (<----don't even know what that is)
1938 Cheeseburger
1941 snafu
1945 Mobile phone (have they been around that long?)
1947 Wonderbra
1976 Trekkie (lol)
2004 Badger, more bloody carrots, (do you accept) Paypal?, dutch ovens

Postby Bunno Smurf » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:27 pm
lol Dyar, nah only round here....2004 was 'chav".

Its a UK thing apparently.

Quote the RD:
"Chav" is an insult aimed at lower-class youngsters who drip in fake designer labels....."Chav has even been dubbed a UK version of the American insult "white trash".

Never heard of it myself but its a good word to know.

I got curious over lumpenproletariat and looked up the defintion:

Lumpenproletariat: The lowest, most degraded stratum of the proletariat :-?

ummm yeah ok........

More specifically:

1. The lowest, most degraded stratum of the proletariat. Used originally in Marxist theory to describe those members of the proletariat, especially criminals, vagrants, and the unemployed, who lacked class consciousness.
2. The underclass of a human population

Thank you all for participating in the English 101 class.

Linda

PS: My vote's on Dutch Ovens for the Forum buzz word of the year

Postby Fram » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:03 am
Hooray for Foxi Smurf!
:sheep: Bored of normality, why not go smurf? :sheep:

Postby Bunno Smurf » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:34 am
LOL Fram...its a little better than "Great Dopey Dropkick". Remind me not to post so many posts ;)

Edit: Foxi Smurf reminds me of Raci Staci.

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:48 am
LOL Fram...its a little better than "Great Dopey Dropkick". Remind me not to post so many posts ;)

1. Great Dopey Dropkick is rather amusing to see next to Fram's name...it's not a pleasant thing to be called and Fram is definately the opposite as he is quite talented and witty.

2. Linda your posts are fine...keep them coming

3. Maybe you should be called Foxi Lady....or if you are thinking Raci Staci then maybe it should be Foxi Soxi....no idea why :-?

Dyar Lier

Postby Fram » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:58 am
Funno Bunno!

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:52 am
Well you can all blame Grizz, it is nothing to do with me, I was just going with her suggestion. :) :) :) :) :) I can soon change it if anyone wants to PM me with a better idea for our Frambles. :)

Postby Fram » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:57 am
Hey, I'll just post some 400 posts and I'm rid of it! :-D I don't mind, it could have been worse.

Wouldn't you like something else instead of Admin Smurf? Bare'm Karen? Cavernous Caretaker? Nanny Smurf? :)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:02 am
Bare'm Karen
HA HA HA!!! :sofunny:

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm

LOL, Linda! I'm surprised that didn't make a rank name...Fishy Smurf is close enough though....I guess :-? :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:19 am
Fishy Smurf is close enough though
You were the inspiration for that Stace, I have to admit!!! :)
Page 1 of 1

Login