Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby angelsmurf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm
Hi all,

has anybody info about my smurf medal, the pics are from Aug-2000, I bought it 1999 or 2000. The medal is very heavy, looks like Bronze.

though I smurf in the darkest valley I have no fear.
cause in this valley I could be the smurfiest!

keep on smurfin'
angelsmurf

Postby bwalters » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:03 pm
I don't know anything about it AngelSmurf but I sure do like it.
Mr Bill

Postby steveparkes » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:04 am
Thats a nice medal Stefan, I'm afraid I don't know anything about it either..I bet the postage was alot on that item :)
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Michelle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:10 am
Hi Stefan,

I think they've made it for a certain birthday of the smurfs, but I don't know more then this.

Michelle
SUNDAY the 12th of October 2014!! Save the date!!! The 7th edition of Blue Paradise!!!!

Blue Paradise

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 am
What a wonderful medal, Stefan. :D Sadly, I haven't got any information on that item. :(

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 am
Wow nice medallion. I have no information on this particular item but with some items you'll find markings on the edge. Something made of bronze that size would be quite heavy. What a find!

I am aware of just four medals/coins that are smurf related, all of which were issued in Belgium (and all much smaller that your one). Bronze is an unusual metal to use for a smurf medal, one would expect them to use light weight metals for mass production and market appeal. One therefore wonders if that was a prototype. I would be surprised if they made a medallion like that for children due to its weight. It could break bones if dropped on feet or thrown at someones head.

either way its a fine piece.
Enjoy it and thanks for sharing.

Postby angelsmurf » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:36 pm
I measured thickness: 5,2 mm

I weight it: 200 gramm

Could also be some sort of brass ... :-?

keep on smurfin'
angelsmurf

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 pm
Unfortunately I don't have any scales to compare it with the space ones I have here, but commonly such medals this size are made from bronze. Brass is also used for medals although its not as common these days (I may be wrong as I have only recently been getting in to these things and definitely aren't an expert). Unfortunately there is no easy way to determine what metals. Only really by look, weight and sound (pitch if pinged)... or if it has corroded :-)

Although my guess from the pictures would be bronze, both Bronze and Brass have Copper as 90% of their base metal with either tin or zinc being added for the remainder. Any variation to elements added to the metal, age, exposure to the elements etc means that both these metals can look very similar.

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:28 pm
Oh whilst we are on the topic... you should never clean medals with brasso or silvo as these are not chemically inert. For mild cleaning I use dish washing liquid (any mild soap will do) or for the heavy stuff you can use lighter fluid. 8)

Regardless of the metal you have a very nice medal there and may want to store it wrapped in cotton wool or in a paper or non-PVC plastic bag. PVC will damage metals in time. Any stamp shop should have these bags for just a few cents each. They are commonly used for storing first day covers.

Hope this has helped.
Daryl

Postby Tojo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:09 pm
I keep my coins in capsules specially made for the purpose but I don't know whether they make them large enough for a medal of that size. They have the benefit that the coins are protected from the air, can't get scratched & you can still see both sides of the coin / medal too.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby angelsmurf » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 pm
Thank you, I think I'm on the right way, I store it separate in a jewelry box with that size, like one for a big brooch.

The lid close well and there is velvet and foamed material inside. It looks good at all. The velvet got the contour of each side of the medal over the years :)

keep on smurfin'
angelsmurf

Postby bwalters » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:07 pm
Hi Angelsmurf; I don't know exactly how big it is but they make plastic cases for all kinds of medals. This is a pic of a Mark Mcguire coin that I have above it is an american quarter the same size as a german mark.

Mr Bill

Postby barrufet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:14 am
I only have this info about this medal:

This is a heavy bronze medal minted by the French mint to honor Smurfs creator Pierre Culliford "Peyo" who died Christmas Eve 1992.
The Medal is 2 5/8" across and 6/32" thick. Very deep relief on the portraits makes all the characters "jump" out of the medal.
It is marked "Bronze" in the edge of the medal as well as halmarked by the French Mint.Comes with original box and stand.
These were made in very limited numbers.
I have these two images.

regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby angelsmurf » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:04 pm
Thanks barrufet,

I checked my medal again, there is indeed a small symbol and BRONZE embossed on the edge, where the "tr" from Schtroumpf is.

It seems my box is more dark blue than yours.

keep on smurfin'
angelsmurf

Postby paolo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Do you have any idea on where to find one up for sale?

Postby angelsmurf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm
No, no idea, sorry.
I bought it approx 10 years ago, couldn't remember on a fair or on ebay.

I checked the homepage of http://www.monnaiedeparis.com but could not find anything about this medal.

So I think sometimes at ebay or never ever :???:

keep on smurfin'
angelsmurf
Page 1 of 1

Login