Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 am
After a few more telephone conversations today and over the last week, I have organised for a couple of people from the National LIbrary of Australia to come up from Canberra next week to have a look at my music collection with the view of selling it off as one piece.

I don't really want to let go of it but it does take a whole room so I could always do with the space and a little bit of money. So if the price is right I will seriously consider letting just about all of it go.

I was thinking of selling it piece by piece on ebay but there are thousands upon thousands of pieces in the collection from magazines, rare tour posters (many signed), backstage passes (a couple from U2, Crowded House, Huey Lewis & The News, MTV Awards plus many others), record albums and singles (many also signed including by some musicians who are now dead), photos, tour itineraries (like The Police world tour from 1981), record company bios & promotional items, rare live recordings and interviews (some that have never been aired), newspaper clippings and just about anything related to music from the last 22 years I have been collecting and before. I never threw anything away and I had access to some pretty cool stuff during my time working in the music industry and just as a fan of popular music.

A price range in the thousands has already been mentioned but it's hard to know exactly what it is all worth. I don't want to sell it below its value so I have to think long and hard about it all and weigh up any sort of concrete offer made. They have already told me that I have exactly the type of things they are after and they have been very enthusiastic about coming up to see it and also told me not to sell off anything just yet.

I will still hold onto the CD and film library but the rest of it will most likely be offered to the National Library of Australia to add to their own collection and a deal for copies of audio or footage could be arranged.

Who knew collecting odd bits of paper and miscellaneous items would one day become quite valuable. :-?

Dyar

Postby smurfieduck » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:45 am
Best of luck, Dyar. keep us posted with the outcome, please. :D

How do you feel about getting rid of so many memories? It must be difficult? :eek:

It's not just the monetry value to consider, it's also the sentimental/emotional value as well. So, I hope you sell it for a price that takes in consideration all these aspects.

:-D
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 am
I agree with the duck, best of luck Mister, your collection must be unbelievable, don't give it away :D

:-D :beer:

Postby naish510 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 am
Hello Dyar, good luck !!!!! I hope you will get a very very good price !!!!! :cheers:

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:27 am
:shock: :shock: Oh Dyar, that is sad to hear :???: I know you love your music.

Sounds like you have an amazing collection, I hope you'll hold on to some of it :D It would be a hard thing to part with after collecting all of it for 22 years.

Fingers crossed you get a decent price for what you do decide to sell :D
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:40 am
I hope you will get what it is worth :D

I am not sure I could part with it

At least you still have the memories and I am sure you can put the money to good use :hug:

hope it all works out for you :hug:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Rachel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 pm
Hi Dyar, good luck finding a good new home. I know you have some wonderful items which I am sure there are many many people out there who would love to see and hear so let's hope they get the new home that they deserve and you get a decent amount of compensation. :fingersx: :-D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 pm
How do you feel about getting rid of so many memories? It must be difficult? :eek:
I am not 100% sure I want to...infact I knwo I don;t want to but I don;t have the room to store it all so I am thinking if I get a really good price for it then I would seriously think about moving on.

The guy I spoke to initially said would I like to donate it.......I nearly fainted :) :) ......then wanted to swear at him. The answer was a very firm "no" but I know they will want to get it for as cheap as they can so I will have to make some very hard decisions on what I think it's worth. I kind of get the feeling that I will want more than they will want to offer me....at least at the beginning. If nothing happenes then I will talk to some people in the music industry here and also consider ebay.

I will keep you guys updated and thank you for the well wishes :D

Dyar

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:59 am
Dear Dyar,

since I'm a music collector myself, I feel your sorrow. :( :hug: I wish you the best of luck. :hug:

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:23 am
Just wanted to mention the update on this selling business. I sold most of my collection to the National Library here in Canberra a few weeks back for a tidy sum and now I am selling the left overs on ebay. When possible I will be listing around 10 auctions per night (probably for the next 12 months by the look of things :banghead: ) so if anyone wants anything music related then feel free to ask me what I have left or keep an eye on my auctions (don't make me beg) and hopefully I can have a smurf room once again.

Here are the auctions so far this week:

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZsgt_papas

Dyar

PS - Christy, you asked me to let you know when I am selling any Rolling Stones stuff.......so far I only have 2 articles on the Stones in an auction with a ton of other newspaper clippings from January 2001. I will let you know when I have more of their stuff listed over the next few weeks or months or however long it takes to sell the remainder.

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:05 am
Good luck, Sir! I corrected the link in your above message because you had it going to "My ebay" which takes a person to their own account and not your items :D
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Tojo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:41 am
I'm glad you were able to sell to the National Library Dyar but I can imagine that it must have been a very hard decision to make after having collected it all over the years. On the up side I'm sure the money would come in handy.

I hope you do well on getting good prices for your ebay auctions too. Good luck :D
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby smurfieduck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 pm
Good luck, AC!!!! Fingers and toes are firmly crossed for you - I hope you manage to sell the remainder of your collection and for a great price. :D

You do realise that when you have your smurf room we will require pics, don't you?? :-D
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby Rachel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 pm
Good to hear much of your collection has gone to such a good and prestigous home Dyar, at least you always know it will be appreciated. :-D

Goodluck with the auctions. :goodluck:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:15 pm
Good Luck, Dyar :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:27 pm
Thank you people for the well wishes. I have already been given offers to end some auctions but you know how it goes....we don't like that type of thing so they can bugger off....um, of course I will say it nicer than that but I don't believe in not giving everyone a fair chance even if it doesn't reach the amounts I have already been offered.

Nothing overly special listed yet but there's always more coming each day. I tried to take a few pics of the posters last night and they turned out awful. It's hard to take pics of glossy posters without light or even too much light reflection ruining the pic. :banghead:

Of course I will post pics Duckie when I have it all sorted....but so many others here can do smurf rooms so much better than I ever can (see Rach, Christy, Stace, everyone else).....me male :-? me make smurf display that look like 3 year old. :?

Dyar
Page 1 of 1

Login