Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 pm
We had a pretty bad storm last night, with wind gusts of about 40-50 mph. I heard the winds blow all night, but didn't think much about it, because well..storms happen. When I left this morning, I saw some larger limbs on my driveway but still didn't think much about it. All day long we heard news of fallen trees and half of our area being without power, but still I didnt' think about that and was more worried about not being able to do my taxes online. When I came home (in the dark) I saw a pick up truck in front of the house with lights blarring and grew a bit worried because this is not a normal occurance at my place at all. And then I saw it....

The huge pine tree that stood in the dog kennel had been lifted up by the roots and fallen on the fence, missing the dog houses by inches and missing my bedroom by 2-3 feet. If the tree had fallen in a straight line...he would have killed me. Needless to say, I feel shaken but also very blessed because if he had to come down, he came down in the best possible way...And the dogs were unhurt, too...not even one sratch on them. I know I hardly ever mention my faith on here, but let me just say, I feel very blessed and thankful to the Lord tonight, because not only am I alive, my dogs are unhurt, but there isn't even a scratch on my house or roof..the only thing that needs a bit of fixing up is the fence, and this is nothing compared to what could have been.

This is the second time in two weeks that I escaped injuries or even death, because about two weeks ago I nearly caused a bad wreck, by not paying attention to where I was driving...

Apparently I sleep very sound, as I didnt' wake up or hear a thing when that tree hit the ground just a few feet away from where I was sleeping
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm
VERY glad you are ok, Moey...sometimes it's good to be a heavy sleeper, isn't it! :shock:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby JT » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:27 am
Good to hear you´re ok M :cheers:

As Grouchy would say: I hate storms.

JT

Postby naish510 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 am
Hi Moey, i'm glad you are ok and your dogs too !!!!
We are having a big storm here now for the moment !!!

Postby Cassiebsg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 am
Happy to hear that you, your dogss and the house are all safe and sound. :D

Have a feeling you'll be giving a look at trees nearby the house a closer look to make sure they're at a safe distance. :o
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Postby smurfer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 am
I'm glad to hear that everything is ok Moey !! :D

Just like Christy said : We having a storm in Europe now too ...
I hope that nobody will get hurt .. :duck:

Postby SmurfingH » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:16 am
So pleased you're ok! If it helps, I would almost certainly have slept through it too! Oh, and I share your faith. :D

I've been meaning to ask: what dogs do you have? Dogs are my "other" passion! :-D

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 am
:shock:

Jeeeeeez, glad to hear you are ok Maureen ! :D

:-D :beer:

Postby FlamingO » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 am
Very relieved to hear that all came out unscathed Maureen :relieved: :-D Must have been a bit of a fright to see though :shock:

Postby Tojo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 am
Woah Maureen, that was a close shave!!! I very glad that the only damage was to the fence & that both you & the dogs are unhurt. Things like this bring home to you just how fragile life can be sometimes.

My brother-in-law had a near miss the other day as he was on the flight from China that crash landed at Heathrow. He said that all of a sudden the plain started to shudder, then fresh air entered the cabin & the oxygen masks all dropped down. He works for Nokia & has to fly quite often & is now scared *#+*less of flying again.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 am
Thank God, nothing happened to you, Mo. :relieved: :D

Postby smurfieduck » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 am
Maureen, I am so, so glad, and relieved that you and your family (doggies/cat) are ok. :hug: :cheek:
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby southernyacht » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 am
:scared: :relieved: Too close for comfort I think! Glad you're all ok :D
Cathy x :cat:

Postby Rachel » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:30 pm
WOW Moey, it sounds like you had a very lucky escape. I am so glad to hear that both you and the dogs are all fine. :hug: :relieved:

Tojo, mad to hear your brother was on that flight, it was plastered all over the news for days. Another lucky escape Thank goodness. :-D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:40 pm
Thanks for your nice replies and wishes....It wasn't the first time I slept thru a storm..about a week after I moved into this place a Tornado came thru and pretty much destroyed the house I had lived in a week earlier 8-) :-D which is about 2 miles away from me...Nothing around me was destroyed that time (I didn't have dogs yet)

Hilary, I have three dogs that live outside. Petee, is my 11 year old lab mix and just "my" special dog who is very close to me and has helped me thru a lot already by just being Petee...Peppy, is my 10 year old lab/beagle mix..who is just adorable and peppy :) and Foxi, is my little 9 year old stray he is a mixture of about everything but does look like Wolf now

Tojo, I am so glad your brother is well

I hope the storms in Europe weren't so bad and everybody is alright.

I came home today during daylight (first time in two months) and was able to see it all and take pictures...It isn't as bad as it looked at night, and I will spent tomorrow after work getting rid of the tree (My stepfather will cut it into pieces and I throw it with the other trees we still have to burn :banghead: )

Here are a few pictures

The tree lying right next to my place, those limbs wouldn't have been comfortable sticking inside my body

This is where the dog houses were before they were involuntarily moved

after Curt cut the tree in half....the stump with the root sprang back up and hasn't moved since then out of the kennel and won't as the roots are too big right now
ImageImage

When I came home last night, all that was laying down knocking the fence down :eek:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby FlamingO » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:29 am
Wow, that was a near miss Maureen :shock:

Tojo, I'm not surprised your brother-in-law would be scared to fly again, that must have been some horrific experience :sad: Just incredible they all got out pretty much OK, well physically anyway.

Postby SA Smurfette » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:49 am
Glad you and your dogs are ok, Maureen :D
I don't think I would have been able to sleep through a storm like that :scared:
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Gerda » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:20 pm
I don't check this section of the forum often so sorry for the late reply to this.
I'm glad to hear you are ok, what a close call and I can see why you where shaken. I had heard about the storms on tv, The same storms caused us some headaches too, mostly in the area of rain, ice snow and bitter cold temps (-45 with windchill on Wed.. nuts) What is with all this crazy weather the states have been haveing??
tojo, sorry to hear about your brother in law. I heard about the plane on the news.
Isn't it amazing what a small world it is, you never think when you watch something like that "gee I wonder if I know anyone who is... doing whatever" and then all of a sudden someone mentions that they where a part of that or know someone close to it.

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 pm
Well, we had another round of storms..this time with Tornados...that turned out to be deadly....They hit about the time when rush hour was in full force...I was already at work but it was something else

They hit a Christian college in Jackson, where three kids from church go to, but as far as we know they are all ok....

It was kind of funny, when I got up I had an e-mail from Sharon asking about the storms and if I was ok...and I really had no idea what she was talking about. I knew we had expected some overnight storms, but thought it was over...Little did I know it was about to happen and I only missed them because I left early for work. About 15 min after I left, it must have been really bad at home...and it was very very very bad with Tornados when I was at work in Chattanooga...But thankfully nothing happened in Chatty...however, Nashville wasn't quite so lucky...

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Gerda » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:34 pm
I was thinking about you today Maureen, I tried to find out if anything in your area happend but the news don't pin point exactly. Good to hear you are safe. We up here have the same weather as we did last week at this time, you can say it is a bit of dejavu.
so how about we do this again next week and go for 3 in a row :shock: :angry: just kidding!!

gerda

ps.. if you want to get away from the tornadoes for awhile you can come up here and shovel me out of my house!! :snowdance: :snowdance:
happily smurfing along
Page 1 of 2

Login