Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:00 pm
Hi All

I have started collecting other wee plastic figurines as an aside to the big smurf one. Nothing too fab, but I've whacked together a quick and ready website for them. The chess sets are now religated to a page off it rather than a site on their own. But I now have started on Snoopy, Garfield, Wallace and Gromit, Asterix and Toy Story.

The site isn't exactly briming with content yet, as I'm new to them all and know very little, but its a start. I have almost that much again in transit, so hopefully I can get some updates happening in the next month as they arrive.

http://dsb.95mb.com

enjoy
Daryl :D

Postby JT » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:57 am
Those chess sets are just great :D
Me like a lot :cheers:
It´s a shame I just got rid of my Snoopy collection, there was few you´re missing :(

JT

Postby Rachel » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:33 am
Hi Daryl, you have some great figures there and like Janne, I love those chess sets, I am sure it would be really fun to have a game using them. :-D

How do you find the space for them all? :)
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:03 pm
Thanks Rachel and JT :-D
Yes the chess sets are rather fun to collect.. bad news is A) they are very expensive especially when you have to add postage to the far flung corners of the earth as I do and B) they take up so much room. I can only display 5 in my collections room, so most stay boxed up for years at a time. The pictures on the website is my only real way to enjoy them all. I don't have pets or children otherwise I'd have to have them in a locked display cabinet.

Janne: The Snoopy collection will hopefully keep me going for a while. I'll quickly get the easily obtainable ones and then it will slow down to the occassional item. I have a habbit of collecting this rather fast which I really should stop. Problem is when you wait weeks/months for postage and given the cost it is often better to buy in bulk.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:18 pm
How many chess sets do you have altogether, Daryl? I can't believe how many you have!!!

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:04 pm
Hi Karen
Yeah I know.. too many!!! :tea: 50+ I have two more sets not displayed there as they are normal sets. My grandfather won one in a regional or national level so that one is special for the family and not really part of my collection. The other is just a regular set if ever anyone wanted to beat me then they would use that one :lol:

Storage is a big problem as some of these sets weigh heaps and are very big. On another thread there is the topic of "what significant others think of smurf purchases".. well even though I don't have anyone chasing my finances, some of those chess sets even make me cringe at the costs. The most expensive sets are around NZ$450 (US$300/150GBP) and there are three that hit that figure :-S gulp! :roll: Once I purchased four sets from one guy in the states and the postage was US$190! luckily most of the others balance it out with a couple I painted up from molds costing around US$25 each (medievil mouse and teddybear honey pots). :relieved:

Still I have spent up big on smurfs too at various times, so if I ever had to do a budget I think I would be shocked at my outgoings.
:eek:
Page 1 of 1

Login