Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:18 am
Hi Everybody, :cheers:
I have long debated whether to post about this on this forum or not, but decided to go ahead...

I am scheduled to become an American citizen :dancing: tomorrow and right now I am making my round, saying GoodBye to everybody as a German citizen. :hug: .I will be losing my German Citizenship, which was a very hard decision to make. :( But during the last ten years, I have come to think of myself more and more as an American, so I wanted to make it official. :dance:

As far as I know I will keep the British Citizenship, for which I am really happy, as I am quite proud of it. :dance:

I know this is a very international board (that's why I love it so) and it may not interest a lot of you or a lot of you may not even understand this step, but I thought I share it anyway

I am announcing this today, as I will be leaving my home in about three hours and won't return until tomorrow evening when all is over (hopefully) :D (It was a long and very hard and painful process to get to tomorrow, and I have come to expect the unexpected, :banghead: so I am very careful to take tomorrow for granted yet) :-D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:11 am
I'm glad you posted, Maureen, as I think it is very interesting and so will the others on the board. Good luck and tomorrow I will say a congratulations :hug: Go get 'em, Maureen :D
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby steveparkes » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 am
Good Luck Maureen, It must have been a hard decision to make, but I wish you every sucess with it :hug:
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Pitufo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:22 am
Hi, Maureen!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck in your decission!!!!!!

A british Maureen, or a german Maureen, or an american Maureen? Never mind!!!!!!!!!!!We love the smurfie Maureen!!!!!Why not a spanish Maureen?

BYE
JOAQUÍN

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:35 am
A british Maureen, or a german Maureen, or an american Maureen? Never mind!!!!!!!!!!!We love the smurfie Maureen!!!!!
:) :) Yep we love smurfy Maureen.
I wish you all the best with your decisions and citizenship and a big congratulations when it's all done and dusted............. :-D

Smurfy regards
Steve :D

Postby Tojo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:16 am
That is a big decision to make Maureen & I'm sure you'll benefit from the change (probably less-red tape for example).

I've decided to keep my British citizenship & not become German even though it has a drawback. I can't vote in General elections here which always annoys me as I've been living here since 1992 (I can vote in the local elections though). I can't vote in Britain either though as I haven't got an address there :banghead: The British voting system is really stupid.

Otherwise, I have all the rights that others have here so I won't be changing. I feel myself as a British European with an English, Irish, Scottish & Welsh heritage & just couldn't imagine become German.

:cheers:
Tojo
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 am
I feel myself as a British European with an English, Irish, Scottish & Welsh heritage
Don't forget your smurfy heritage too Tojo, we all have that in common! :) :) :) :)

Smurfy regards

Postby Tojo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:02 am
Oh no! I forgot that one. My humblest apologies for forgetting - must be turning senile :banghead: :)
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:09 am
:) :) :) i think it happens to us all at some point, but my wife would say I was born senile!........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smurfy regards

Postby attombomb7 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:32 am
Hi Maureen!

Congratulations on your new birth! as long as it doesn't brain wash you

into a non smurf aholic! then its super !

I'm sure you will feel very proud at the ceremony! and it will be a

great new expierance! are you wearing light blue?

I think you made a good decision if you plan to live there and be part of

what that country offers with a voice.
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:12 pm
Awww Good Luck Maureen :D I hope everything goes smoothly and i look forward to your next message, when you can tell us all what happened :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Rachel » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:58 pm
Hi Maureen, I hope all your goes well for your big day. :goodluck:

It does sound like a big decision and it has been interesting hearing about your citizenships and also your story Tojo. It is something I don't really know much about so it's always great to learn something new. :-D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Bunno Smurf » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:29 pm
Good luck, Maureen. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. When I saw the date I was thinking "Geez who found out it was my parent's wedding anniversary and is reminding me on the forum???" :eek: :shock: Freaky as my sister was born on the 6/6 and my dad on the 8/8 and their wedding anniversary is the 10/10.

A Kiwi once told me this joke about becoming an Australian citizen:

Whats the hardest thing about becoming an Australian citizen?

Having half your brain removed
:eek:

I guess its payback for all those kiwi sheep jokes lol! :) :) :)
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 am
Good luck Maureen,

I didn't know about both your German and your British citizenship. :) Despite being born in Germany, I do have many relatives in the Czech republic as well many friends abroad. Therefore I'm open to anyone and call myself "globe trotter". :D

Postby XoioX2000 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:16 pm
Good luck Maureen! :):):)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:34 pm
Hi Guys,
well, I am back and after some phone calls (one of them to Germany that wasn't that good :( ), I am reporting back to you as a brand new American citizen :) :)

Thank you so much for all your good wishes...:) :thanks2:
I still can't really believe it and after 10 years of having to fool with immigrations and their bureaucracy, but also seeing many miracles, I will have to give God all the Glory for what happened today... I do feel very blessed that I have had the opportunity to experience living in two countries up close and personal :D

It was a very big and hard decision for me to make, not because of any big patriotic feelings I had, but because I knew what it would do to one special member in my family. :( In the end, I decided to go for it though, because this is where I am living and after paying all those taxes, I finally want to be able to vote. You can't even vote in small local elections in America unless you are a citizen :D :) :) .
I feel myself as a British European with an English, Irish, Scottish & Welsh heritage & just couldn't imagine become German
I guess, one of the reasons I never really felt like a German was that as Tojo's background, mine is very varied also and I always was more proud of my background and still consider myself as a citizen of the world (in the good sense of the word). My background is very mixed, so I think becoming an American only made sense. :) :) I am half Irish (Father was pure Irish), and on my mother side, I am quarter American (with Indian blood, and whoknowswhat else) and the other quarter is divided up with German, Polish and Jewish blood :) My British citizenship actually came from having been born in the best city of the world...at least in my opinion :-D

are you wearing light blue?
:lol3:
that was funny because I had to look when I read that question, Attom, and I think the smurfs have gotten more into my blood than I knew, because yes, I was wearing a dark blue dress with light blue flowers.. :)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Rachel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:44 pm
Great to hear you had a great day Maureen and that you are pleased with the way you are feeling about it all. Congratulations. :cheerz:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:28 pm
:streamer::streamer: :streamer: :streamer: :streamer::streamer: :streamer::streamer: :streamer: :streamer: :streamer:
CONGRATULATIONS, MAUREEN!
:streamer: :streamer: :streamer: :streamer: :streamer::streamer: :streamer::streamer: :streamer: :streamer: :streamer:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby XoioX2000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:12 am
Well done Maureen!!!

You are now a complete Smurf... I mean an American!!! :) :) :) :)

Ok that's one more thing we will have to toast in Brussells... is somebody making notes of all these?

:beer: :beer: :cheers:
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:38 am
Excellent news Maureen :D Its good to hear everything worked out for you ! :cheers:

:-D :beer:
Page 1 of 2

Login