Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 pm
I am not sure if you have the same thing happening to you..

I have noticed that there are few things from my past that when I hear them bring me right back into the past :D

Today, I was listening to some of the "newer" older songs of Queen, that were recorded around the time Freddie Mercury announced he was sick or before. My mother was a huge fan at the time and Queen was all we heard in our house (well, mostly lol). The songs I mean were "Who wants to live forever", "Those were the days" and one other song that I can't remember the title of...I must admit I turn into a cry baby when I listen to these songs....and I haven't listened to them for years...but doing it today took me right back to the past and where I was when I learned Freddie M. had passed away.

Another song that will take me back to the past is "Careless Whisper" from George Michael. At the time when I heard it first, I was a bit too young to know what the song was about, but every time I hear it I am back in Wales in my mind, where I first heard it :-D (I think it actually was in Swansea, Rachel, and believe it or not but I got one of my worst sunburns there :shock: )

Other songs are "True" and "Only when you leave" from Spandau Ballet...and erm..."Too Shy" from KajaGooGoo (anybody remember them?) that was actually the first Pop song I really really liked...don't ask me why..I was young, very young..that's my excuse now :)

I have more songs of course mostly from British Bands in the beginning and mid 80s....and some American Hymns that will always take me back to a certain time in my life

Does anybody else have songs like this?

Oh, and growing up in Germany in the 80s, I will never ever forget Nena and her 99 Luftballons lol
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Pitufo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:48 pm
I have thousands and thousands of song from my past, almost all of spanish and latinamerican singers, but last weekend at Dublin´s pub something special happened: I listened "Sweet Caroline" of Neil Diamond, a song lost in my memory...And it was great to see all the friends singing it together!!!!!!! :D :D
JOAQUÍN

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:23 pm
Oh, that's another one, Joaquin...thanks to Staci I got this one on my Zune...and it is also one of them that has me stop in the middle of working and stare dreamily in the air :-D

and I forgot mentioning "Whiskey in the Jar" "the rose" and others from the Dubliners...ever since seeing them perform live on stage...I can't help but feeling I am back in Ireland when I hear them :-D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 pm
Oh yes, Neil does rock :) :)

I have lots of songs too that bring me back in time but one of the most special (ok, don't laugh) is "Laid" by James. Not sure if anyone outside of America will remember that tune but my senior year of college my 4 roomies and I would go crazy everytime we heard this song in a bar, which was pretty much every single night of the week. :cheer: :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer: A few years after we all graduated, one of our roommates died in a car accident so we've kind of really made that all "our" song and ever since then, it is even more special when we hear it all together :rose:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:49 pm
I will post the embarrassing artists (really I still think they are all cool) I used to listen to in the 1980s when I was growing up

A is for A-ha / The Angels / Australian Crawl
B is for Bon Jovi / Billy Idol / Boom Crash Opera / Baltimora
C is for The Cars / Cold Chisel / Crowded House
D is for Duran Duran / Dire Straits
E is for Eurythmics / Elton John
F is for Foreigner
G is for Go West / GANGgajang
H is for Howard Jones / Hoodoo Gurus / Hunters & Collectors
I is for INXS Icehouse
J is for Joe Jackson / Jimmy Barnes
K is for Kids In The Kitchen / Kim Wilde
L is for Lionel Richie / Little River Band
M is for Michael Rapeson / Mondo Rock / Mental As Anything / Models / Men At Work / Midnight Oil
N is for Nik Kershaw / Noiseworks / 1927
O is for OMG
P is Pseudo Echo / Paul Kelly / Paul Young / Phil Collins / Pink Floyd / The Police
Q is for Queen
R is for Real Life / REM / Richard Clapton / Rick Springfield / The Rolling Stones
S is for Spandau Ballet / Split Enz / Sting
T is for Talking Heads / Tim Finn
U is for U2 / Ultravox
V is for The Venetians
W is for Wham
X is for XTC
Y is for The Young Ones (ok that's a tv show but who's gonna read all of this anyway right?)
Z is for ZZ Top

Pick any songs by those people and it will remind of my youth....or in my case....last week when i was last listening to them.......well don't pick on me....at least I didn't put stinking ABBA on the list

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:27 am
Having two older brother's and a sister, my music influences were rammed down my throat by the aforementioned people !

The Osmonds..........crazy horses.........when i was a child, i would play this using the arm of the couch as the piano ! :) :)

Then there was......Queen, Status Quo.......any song by them.

I remember all those songs you chose Moey, i think british pop in the 80's was a good time ! :D

Nik Kershaw was another i listened too alot !

The list could be endless really, Stace i dont know your song, but i am glad it can still make you smile for a very good reason :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:14 am
"Laid" by James. Not sure if anyone outside of America will remember that tune
Since the band was from Manchester, England I would of thought it was a hit over in the UK as well Stace......Beers, Rach anyone????

It was a hit down here....it took me a while to figure what the actual name of the song was though....but then again, you know me slow sometimes :-?

Dyar

Postby agent smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:23 am
UK #25, US #61 I was wrong first

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_%28band%29

I have the Best of cd. :-D

Yesterday I bought "Dare" (remastered cd) from the Human League. I think they're much better than Depeche Mode. :-?

PS - Don't change this post I'm not joking.

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:33 am
"Laid" by James. Not sure if anyone outside of America will remember that tune
Since the band was from Manchester, England I would of thought it was a hit over in the UK as well Stace......Beers, Rach anyone????
Well, you know me, I never know where bands are from :) :) Maybe Beers is just way too old to have listened to any "new" music in the 90s :-?

Thanks for the James info, Gert :D

Postby Tojo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 am
Y is for The Young Ones (ok that's a tv show but who's gonna read all of this anyway right?)
I read all the way through :) Their version of Cliff's "Living Doll" was a scream :)

Yesterday I bought "Dare" (remastered cd) from the Human League.
I love that album especially "I am the law" which is about Judge Dredd.

I have so many musical memories that I can't list them. I have lots of records, tapes & cd's & so lots of memories. Two songs that bring back great memories of driving with my workmates (we worked in a cafe) around Torquay late at night in summer with the windows down are "I'm you money" by Heaven 17 & "Everything's gone green" by New Order. That was a great time (1982).
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby agent smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:11 am
I like Heaven 17 and New Order too, but not as much as I like Erasure of course. :-D

By the way, posting everything twice is a bit stupid, I think I won't post on SmurfySteve's forum anymore. :) :) :) :-D
He's weird.

Postby Tojo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 am
:gaga: :!: I should be careful Gert, Steve's just around the corner.... :)

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:33 pm
Hi Mo, I totally agree, I find all kinds of music reminds me of different things, especially being a musician. All kinds of music does it for me whether it is classical or pop / rock / funk etc. etc.
Another song that will take me back to the past is "Careless Whisper" from George Michael. At the time when I heard it first, I was a bit too young to know what the song was about, but every time I hear it I am back in Wales in my mind, where I first heard it (I think it actually was in Swansea, Rachel, and believe it or not but I got one of my worst sunburns there )
Mad one! :)

The trouble is now, every time I hear Careless Whisper I am going to think of Moey thinking she is in Wales! :lol:

I have to admit, I wasn't a massive James fan, I do remember "Sit Down" though. Ahhhhh, yes that was a nice sunny afternoon sitting by a fountain, drinkig cider when I was at collecge. :cheerz:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:24 pm
Dyar, the only song i remember James singing was Sit Down........a great song ! Manchester is very close to me too :D

Postby Tojo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm
I've never even heard of James :-? It just goes to show how long I've been over here. I used to read lots of music papers, NME, Sounds, Melody Maker & was always well up on the music scene (as long as it wasn't dance, rap, House, Hip Hop etc etc) but now I'm totally clueless :!:

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:56 pm
I know what you mean Tojo, and its not because of our age :) :)

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:58 pm
You sure about that?? :o :)

It could be the :beer: :cheers: :cheerz: :fart:

And Tojo, here ya go:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EkqIHWAMSJ4 (in the first verse, for the radio version they replace the phrase "She only comes when she's on top" to "She only sings..." :-? )

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:59 pm
You sure about that?? :o :)

It could be the :beer: :cheers: :cheerz: :fart:
:haha:

You just beat me to that Stace. :hi5:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:02 pm
Staci, if you mention drink, you gotta mean Rachel ? :o :) :)

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Staci, if you mention drink, you gotta mean Rachel ? :o :) :)
I actually meant Tojo - he's not old, like you :smile:
Page 1 of 2

Login