Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:49 pm
Hi guys,

would it be possible for anyone with either (or preferably both) the fake Praying smurf or smurfette to check something for me please? :?

I have just finished taking close up pics and written a small article for Blue Imps and I noticed something that could well have been discussed before but I can't tell from any pics that I have seen of them.

Does the fake smurf and smurfette always have the gap between the hands and the face filled in whereas the genuine smurfs have the gap?

This seems to be the case with mine but it would be very useful to know if it is always the case. :D

Thanks. :thanks2:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:58 pm
Hi Rachel :wave2:

I have'nt got any fake prayer's, but it would be interesting to find this out, it would be a great way for people to spot a fake if this is the case :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:02 pm
Hi lovely Beers, yep that was what I was thinking too. :cheers:

It is an easy thing to spot if you haven't got a real one to compare too. :-D

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:35 pm
Interesting discovery Rachel

Just had a look at both of mine and yes they are the same as your's. The fake Smurfette does have a very tiny gap but it's pretty much closed up.

I never noticed that before....something to remember for future reference

Dyar

Postby Michelle » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:51 am
Rachel, you are the best!

I never saw this before....but now I will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:26 am
Hi Rach, ours are the same as yours also :-D Lucie

Postby Rachel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:53 am
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. :thanks2:

If this is the case, it will certainly make spotting the fakes a little easier, especially if there isn't a genuine one to compare it too. :-D

I think this is one of the things I love about this hobby and the way the forum works. There are always new things to discover and being able to discuss ideas with like minded people certainly means that we are more likely to make new discoveries and then in turn, help purselves and hopefully others too.

Thanks guys. :hug:

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:56 am
Wow Rachel, that is wonderful information.....

I don't have the fakes yet, but I hopefully I will get them one day, so thanks for letting us know how to easily spot them now.... :-D
I think this is one of the things I love about this hobby and the way the forum works. There are always new things to discover and being able to discuss ideas with like minded people certainly means that we are more likely to make new discoveries and then in turn, help purselves and hopefully others too.
couldn't agree more with that one :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:00 am
I think this is one of the things I love about this hobby and the way the forum works. There are always new things to discover and being able to discuss ideas with like minded people certainly means that we are more likely to make new discoveries and then in turn, help ourselves and hopefully others too.
:iagree: Nicely put by our leader :clap2:

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:31 am
I will follow our leader anywhere :D

Especially if she is on her way to buying spritzer ingredients :cheers:

Dyar

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:24 am
:haha:

Postby SA Smurfette » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 am
Thanks for the info, Rachel :D

I don't have fakes either but I'm sure it will make it easier to spot the fakes in pics on Ebay rather than looking for seams, markings or judging by the colour 8)
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Yonna » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:31 am
My smurfs are in a box right now waiting to get to the wall but I will tell my if my versions have this too as soon as I get a hold of them.

If this really is the case then spotting fakes became much easier!!!!
Go ahead! Smurf my day!

Postby Pitufo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:15 am
Interesting question!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

I have a pair of prayings that I bought knowing (or thinking) they were fake...But they have not the gap btw the face and the hands filled...The material is hard to be genuine, so I don´t know...I will see if I can take an image!!!!!!!
JOAQUÍN
Postby samismurf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 am
dont you think these are fake... they don't have the whole between hands... but the seller claims that they are authentic... if this is the case... they are maybe fake..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Praying-Smurf-Figur ... otohosting
sam the deal finder :sherlock:

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:00 am
yes..I saw on my fake praying smurfette that is looking like an original one with the gap. But a small gap...
Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:18 am
dont you think these are fake... they don't have the whole between hands... but the seller claims that they are authentic... if this is the case... they are maybe fake.
That praying smurf is definately fake Sami...well spotted :D

Dyar

Postby Rachel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:31 am
Hi Sami, the gap that I am talking about can be seen looking at the smurfs from the side so it would be pretty hard to tell from that angle so I really can't be 100% sure about this one. The seller that you mention though as far as I know, is a very honest seller and I have never had a problem with her. She is a very experienced smurf dealer and has been around for a long time. :-D
I have a pair of prayings that I bought knowing (or thinking) they were fake...But they have not the gap btw the face and the hands filled...The material is hard to be genuine, so I don´t know...I will see if I can take an image!!!!!!!
Funny you mention this Joaquin as it is something else that interests me too. :sherlock:

You mention that they are the hard PVC material and you bought them thinking they were fakes. This is only my guess and it is not my own orginal theory, this is something I have discussed with other very experienced smurfers.

There seems to be many praying and wreath smurfs around that appear to be "new" and are made from the harder PVC. They are being sold as both raw and painted figures and from what I have seen and the ones that I have held, the markings are very clear and the molds look perfect. It does look like there is a very good possibilty that they are being made from the original molds and it was pointed out to me that if you compare the material used for these and the material used for the newer released (genuine) smurfs, the material is in fact very similar.

Who is making these and where and when they were made, I have no real knowledge of. I own a raw Xmas wreath smurf that I would say is one of these and I would put money on it that it wasn't made 20 odd years ago when my genuine ones were made. It feels and looks too new and like Joaquin's praying smurfs, is a harder material.

*If* this is the case and these smurfs are newly made, possibly from the original molds, it does make them difficult to spot from a pic, especially the painted ones. Personally, I would not count them as genuine, even if they are made from the original molds, possibly even made by a genuine source.

Make what you will of the last sentence as I have NO proof but it does make you wonder. :-?

I will follow our leader anywhere

Especially if she is on her way to buying spritzer ingredients
The sad thing is, as I read this (yesterday lunchtime) I was just taking my first mouthful of a beautiful, refreshing spritzer. It was a bit early but it is half term and our friends have just bought a new house so we were celebrating. :cheerz: :lol:

Postby Nivid » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:51 pm
Hi

Thanx so much Rachel!

Much needed :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Nivid :hiya:

Postby Rachel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:31 pm
Thanks Nivid. :-D

Here are a couple more pics, this time the smurfette has the tiniest of gaps. :D

Genuine on left, fake on right.
Page 1 of 2

Login