Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Mark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm
Hello Everyone,

I am just a beginning Smurf collector and I don't know to much about at this point so I have I couple of question that I hope you can help me with.

1 What is a good way to get my collection started? Any tips?
2 Is it best to buy all Smurfs that are in current production first?
3 How did you do it when you first started?
4 Are there any particular things that I should be aware of when collecting/buying Smurfs?
5 What is the best way to get the Smurfs organised?

I already bought a Schlumpf Katalog!

Thanks in advance for your Help.

Greetings,

Mark

Postby Smurfysmurf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:38 pm
HI Mark,
since you are in Holland and are able to buy smurfs on fairs and in stores, I would start with the current range in the stores..and go to smurf fairs...You probably will meet fellow collectors at the fairs that can help you out and tell you if a smurf is sold at a good price...I think Ron goes to a few fairs, I know Christy from Belgium does, too as does TinTin another smurf collector from Holland

I also would go to fleamarkets and look for smurfs...this is the perfect place to find nice smurfs for cheap prices

Since you are starting out, I would start with the more common smurfs that you can find on fleamarkets and in stores :-D

You really live at the perfect place for smurf collecting

the only thing I would advise against right now until you have more knowledge is to buy rare smurfs on ebay....but then if you want to go that route...you can always ask one of us if the smurf is really rare

and ask a lot of questions.....the only way to learn is to ask...and you will find more than enough collectors on here who are only to happy to help you out :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Smurfysmurf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:42 pm
I started out in Germany by going to fleamarkets and stores :-D After I had to restart again in America, I went on ebay, but only because I don't find smurfs anywhere close to me....I would prefer to find them in stores or antique stores in my area....and going to one smurf fair last year in Belgium was one of my highlights that year and don't ask how much I spent :banghead: :) :) :)

In regards to organization...I think a spreadsheet is a good idea to start with..I have seen many different ones that all are looking great..how you want to organize them depends what you want to collect..at first you can start marking them off in your book (with a pencil so you can erase it later on)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:08 pm
Hi Mark, you have asked them great questions there and it is good knowing that you are looking for advice rather than rushing in and possibly wasting money. :-D
There are various ways of going about this. Personally I would recommend learning a bit first and buying some of the more common smurfs as you are less likely to get ripped off buying fakes. Buying in large lots is a great way to get your collection going fast. It is certainly the cheapest way to do it and you can then trade or sell any doubles you pick up. The disadvantage here though is that you may end up with some smurfs that have rubs or are in a poor condition. This isn't the end of the world as you can always look out for better examples in the future and if you are careful or lucky you can find some wonderful smurfs. Other collectors prefer to buy a mint example to start with, which will cost more but you know what you are getting. There are even collectors who go for the rare ones first knowing they can pick up more common smurfs at any time. I don't think there is a right or a wrong way, all personal preferences.
Buying the current production or at least the smurf that have been released over the last few years is a good idea as the prices will be good and there is also the chance some of these will get discontinued after a couple of years and will become harder to find.
Apart from the few I had from childhood, most of our smurfs were bought initially in large lots on Ebay. I was very lucky as when we first started recollecting there were very few smurfs being sold in the UK so we bought large lots from Germany and other countries in Europe and America, kept what we wanted and then sold the rest. This actually meant the collection was paying for itself. These days it is a lot harder to firstly find the bargain and then to resell at a good price, plus we are mainly looking for harder to find figures so they cost more.
4 Are there any particular things that I should be aware of when collecting/buying Smurfs?
Unfortunately, as with just about any product, there are plenty of people out there looking to make money however they can. There are many fake and unlicensed items out there and quite a few dubious sellers. Just use common sense and always remember "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true........."
I would certainly say get a katalog but I can see you have done this so you are already on the right track. Obviously having your smurfs out on display helps a lot too. Lots of members here have made databases for their collections. I decided to build a website for myself to help me keep track of what we had.

Hope this helps a bit and please remember, any question, just ask. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby SmurfingH » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:22 am
I've recently started collecting again too. I was lucky in that I had kept all my childhood smurfs and my brother's and so had a really good collection to start with. I've gone a bit(!) mad of the last few weeks and bought from ebay & Kitty's Cavern (which is ace! http://www.kittyscavern.com/index.htm) I've made some mistakes but I don't think they're grave ones and I'm really happy overall. :-D Wish we had the option to search in flea markets & stores over here though. :???:

As for organising, I've started a catalogue which lists the smurf, its reference number, colours, markings, where bought, possible value & a photo. It's in reference number order. I've learnt about fakes too and I think there's at least one fake from the original collection and possibly one that I've bought from ebay. I'm still learning though and have a Katalog on order. :D I've used Kitty's Cavern & Blue Imps websites for reference. Kitty's Cavern has a search facility which is really useful, and once you know the reference number finding the smurf on Blue Imps is easy. Blue Imps shows lots of different versions of the same smurfs and is fascinating! :-D I think that's Rachel's site.

Edited to add: I've also read a lot of the threads on here and learned loads! :D Look at everybody's smurfy websites too because there's a lot of information and all important photos on all of them. :-D

Postby smurfer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:36 am
Hi Mark ,
First off all , I totally agree with Moey :yes: Holland is a great country when you're a smurf collector ! :-D
I also start with buying large lots , and sold (or trade) the doubles ..
But later , when my collection was growing , I prefer to buy rare and exclusive smurfs first ... (I really love the promo smurfs) :smitten:
But be carefull with those expensive ones on Ebay (or Marktplaats).. there are a lot of fakes !
When you have a doubt , you can allways ask someone here for help !! :?
I think Ron goes to a few fairs
That's correct Moey !! :-D
I really love to go to the fairs , and go there as much as I can ... when my budget lets me ... :) :)
On the 24th of Februari there is a fair in Wagenberg , and I think you will love it there Mark ! :D
More information about the Dutch fairs you will find here .
I hope you will find your smurfs Mark , Good luck !! :D

:cheers:

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:05 pm
Thanks everyone for your great advise and tips, they are really helpful to me.

Here are some pictures of my smurf collection so far:

Postby abc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 am
Hello Everyone,

I am just a beginning Smurf collector and I don't know to much about at this point so I have I couple of question that I hope you can help me with.

I already bought a Schlumpf Katalog!

Thanks in advance for your Help.

Greetings,

Mark
I also started by looking at the local stores. I was not only able to buy the current production, but also some that have been discontinued for a few years.
My best moment was at a small toy store which when I first visited had a very small number of current smurfs. I was there this October to buy a present for my niece when I saw in the bottom of a shelf the Windmill and Gargamel's castle. As this place is not known as a smurf store, I guess they were "slow" merchandise for the owner. I was able to negotiate a good price for getting both out of his inventory. :D
Page 1 of 1

Login