Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby smurfieduck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:22 am
Hi Smurfers

I have just bought the Wreath Smurf and was surprised by the size and feel of him. My smurf is quite hard. Is this how he is supposed to be? He is bigger than usually as well. :-?

:D
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby SmurfingH » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:03 am
Can't help with the question, but let's see a piccy of him please! :-D

Postby steveparkes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 am
Hi Sharon, congrats on getting the Wreath Smurf..yes he is quite hard and fairly large..do you have a photo of him?
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Rachel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:24 am
Hi Duckie :wave2:

Well... there seems to be some doubt over these "harder" Christmas smurfs. As far as I know there is the wreath smurf and also the praying pair like this. The market seems to have been flooded with them the last year or so and I have had a few discussions about them with very experienced smurfers.

The quality of the molds and the painting is normally very good but as you say, the material is much harder than the originals and also they all tend to look brand new. The markings also appear to be very clear where as the known fakes of the Christmas smurfs do tend to have blurred markings. There are also raws available as well, I myself have the raw wreath smurf.

The fact that there are so many around and the condition of them certainly makes me think these have in fact been made much more recently than the early 80's. Whether the original molds have been used and who is making them, I have no idea and whether they are classed as genuine is again debateable.

It is virtually impossible to tell them apart from a photo, it is not until you hold and feel them you notice the difference.

I'm sorry as I seem to be forever pointing out negative things these days but I do feel it important that everyone is aware of the different issues. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby smurfieduck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 pm
I thought that I would be safe with this smurfie because it's from a seller who's just selling off her BF's collection. He is a lovely smurf but if he is fake, I would not pay £30 for him (the amount I have already paid). :-?

This is the actual listing and there's a very good pic of my smurf......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=013

:D
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby Rachel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:17 pm
Hi Sharon, I wouldn't like to say 100% without seeing the smurf in person. I agree, looking at the seller it does seem unlikey. There are a few German sellers who I have seen sell at least a dozen of these wreath smurfs each and it is normally easy to spot then. I have been watching this seller and as far as I am aware, she has only sold one other wreath smurf before yours.

Probably the best way for you to get an idea, fisrty try feeling the smurf's material compared to another genuine Christmas smurf if possible, one from the same era (1981) then try feeling it compared to one of the newer smurfs from the last year or two. The raw wreath that I have feels very similar to the new ones.

Also, does the smurf look like it could be 25 years old. Any signs of aging at all?

As I said, it is very difficult to tell but at least you have a few clues to look for. :D

Fingers crossed it is a genuine one. :fingersx:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]
Page 1 of 1

Login