Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby Tojo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31 am
A question has come up elsewhere concerning the surprise cone smurfs & which colour goes with which serial number. This is the reason why:-

Gaschers
20219 Green Surprise Bag Smurf
20220 Pink Surprise Bag Smurf
20221 Red Surprise Bag Smurf

Kitty's Cavern
20219 Green Surprise Bag Smurf
20220 Red Surprise Bag Smurf
20221 Pink Surprise Bag Smurf

Blue Imps
20219 Pink Surprise Bag Smurf
20220 Red Surprise Bag Smurf
20221 Green Surprise Bag Smurf

Mushroom Village
20219 Pink Surprise Bag Smurf
20220 Orange Surprise Bag Smurf
20221 Green Surprise Bag Smurf

Does anyone have an official Schleich booklet or poster or whatever showing which colour corresponds to which number? I never knew there was any confusion until this question came up & it would be interesting to clarify this.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby SmurfingH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm
I've gone with Gascher's but I don't really know the answer. :-?

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:48 pm
Dragon would probably know this but hmmm, where to find him?? :o I will see if I can locate anything official off his website as he has tons of catalogues that he keeps track of :D
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:53 pm
I did have some type of official thingy from Schleich with the numbers on it.....not sure if I ever checked my site against it though. Probably the best way is to get it from the catalogues from David or anyone else that may have them in there. I remember asking the same question years ago because there were so many different variations on different sites. I can't remember what we all came to in the end though.

Dyar

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:35 pm
I looked at old threads and nobody was able to really tell. It seems that Schleich changed the numbers which caused the confusion. I think the last thing most agreed upon was that 20221 is the pink one, but I have seen it numbered differently a ton of times.

I also checked my catalogues and also an older poster but of course the cone smurfs aren't on it.

Where is a :dragon: when you need one? :(
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby steveparkes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 pm
Hi Tojo..I seem to remember that Karen had got her numbers directly from Schleich, but I could be wrong.
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Lia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:15 pm
In Bernd Maiers catalogue "Comicfiguren" are the same numbers as in Gaschers.

Lia

Postby bwalters » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:59 pm
The important thing is you have all three then you can just put them in any order you want. :) bill
I know not a lot of help. sorry :cheers:

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 pm
I've been contemplating the same issue myself. I have finished photographing all my smurfs and am just QAing the piccys and naming them in preperation to load them into a database for my upcoming web site rewrite.

I also have the fun in that I'll have to lookup everyone elses sites to find out the catalogue numbers of the recent smurf sets. I must admit these days I just buy the sets and not worry about their catalogue numbers. My DSK catalogue that I have is the 2000 edition so I'm a wee bit out of date.

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 pm
Hi Tojo..I seem to remember that Karen had got her numbers directly from Schleich, but I could be wrong.
I remember that too Steve.....I am pretty sure the document I got was from Karen as well. I can't get access to my Smurfy stuff at the moment as I'm not home...some say that my lights are often on but I'm never.......mind.

Does anyone have any official info like the one Karen had regarding this as it would be really nice to get a general consensus among us as to which numbers they should be.....especially for the people doing websites & catalogues so they can be confident they have the correct numbers.

Dyar

PS: Since you are super sleuth with old threads Mose.....do you recall an old thread where we discussed the missing or unused Schleich numbers? The doc from Karen featured many interesting things on it regarding missing numbers....some of the common unused numbers (as in the DSK etc) actually had Smurfs assigned to them by Schleich....but because they were just the same Smurfs with different colours painted....everyone just puts them under the earlier number of the same figure. For example...the Soccer or Football Smurf (20035) has a different Schleich number to the later re-released version with different colours (yellow shirt, black panels on the ball). We all know this one and it's included in the DSK....but there were others that the DSK and other guides do not use.

Postby Tojo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:10 am
Thanks for the replies even if we haven't got any further :D
The important thing is you have all three then you can just put them in any order you want. bill
I know not a lot of help. sorry
I don't have any of them so I can put the 3 empty spaces on my shelf in whichever order I like. No one has ever noticed the difference :)

Postby Azrael » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:29 am
I def know the pink one as I have an old smurf catalogue from schleich when the smurf was new... I'll dig it out tonight!
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Pickle Smurf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:48 pm
Hi, it's Karen here. Can I change my username to something better because DrWho is something Danny chose and I don't feel like much of a DrWho! No rude remarks for what to change it to please! :)

I am also between houses at the moment and can't lay my hands on the document Dyar mentions, but I have a vague recollection it may have been supplied by IMPS, but I also have a vague feeling it might not be correct, and I can't remember why I think that!

I'm in the middle of updating my website and trying to remember when Smurfette's bedroom was discontinued, does anyone remember?

edited: I found the link with the info I needed, thanks!
http://forum.bluecavern.com/viewtopic.p ... scontinued

Postby eggie smurf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:07 pm
Can I change my username to something better because DrWho is something Danny chose and I don't feel like much of a DrWho!
Can do! What do you want it changed to? :D

Postby eggie smurf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 pm
All changed, Karen - remember to log in using "Pickle Smurf" now instead of "DrWho" :cheers:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 pm
I'm sorry I can't help you more Tojo.....I do have all types of info at home but I haven't looked at that stuff for a couple of years now. Moey reminded me of a discussion with David a few years back and in the end we weren't 100% sure due to so many different references on these Smurfs. I guess it comes down to which reference you choose to believe in the end.

Dyar

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 pm
I found this on MV

http://www.mushroomvillage.com/ff007.html

The Text reads as follows
There is some disagreement among the Smurf Collectors Club Intl. and German guides regarding the Smurfs holding surprise cones (Cones given to Children in Germany on their first day of school, filled with candy and surprises). MushroomVillage.com always called the pink cone 20219, the orange cone 20220 and the green cone 20221, because this is what the SCCI taught us. German guides say that pink is 20220, orange is 20221 and green is 20219.

Another discrepancy I found is that the SCCI described all three in a 1986 newsletter, implying that all 3 were available that year. However, the German ID guide "Der Schlumpf Katalog IV" states that the dates these were in the current range is 1987, 1988 and 1990 for pink, 1986 for orange and 1989 for green. Who is right?

I then looked at old Schleich catalogs. This mold first appears in 1986 as 20221, and the catalog shows a pink cone only.

In 1987/1988, the catalog again shows this mold with Schleich #20221, but this time the cone is green. (Schleich produced no new Smurfs in 1988, and the in-production Smurfs remained the same from 1987.)

In the 1989 catalog, this mold appears again, is called 20221, and has a green cone.

In the 1990 catalog, 20221 is shown again, but the cone is back to pink! In 1991 the surprise cone is discontinued, and disappears from the Schleich catalog. The Schleich catalogs never showed an orange cone, or a number other than 20221.

I asked Schleich what information they can provide. They told me that (according to their in-house master collection) pink is 20221, orange is 20220, and green is 20219. Oh no! That does not agree with either the SCCI or the German Guides! Unfortunately, it is likely that no one currently at Schleich has first hand knowledge of production that occurred nearly 20 years ago. These details get muddier with time.

Next, I turned to Frank Oswald, author of "Der Schlumpf Katalog IV." He told me they used old Schleich wholesale offer sheets for the Schleich #'s in the catalogs, but that he does not have them anymore, and that they came from an old contact at Schleich he no longer has. He also said that, to his knowledge, the pink cone was sold for 3 years, and that the orange and green cones were distributed only as give-a-ways to children starting school. However Schleich came into some trouble with the European law because the cones pulled too easily from the Smurfs' hands. Production was stopped, and all inventory was destroyed. This is why these pieces are so hard to find.

Boy, I sure wish Suzanne Lipschitz were here to tell her side of the story, but she is laughing with Peyo at the stir his little blue men are making down here!

One thing is for sure: 20221 is the only number the Schleich catalogs ever used, and the pictured cone was always pink or green.

For now, the question remains unanswered. Perhaps the best thing to do, to ensure both parties understand what is being discussed, is to describe the cone color whenever you are referring to one of these pieces. Do not rely on a Schleich #, since it does not look like there is going to be agreement on this issue.
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Tojo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:34 pm
Oh lordy!!! That's cleared up my question then hasn't it :) :) :banghead: :banghead:

Well done for finding that at MV Maureen & thanks for posting it here as it's an interesting example of how confusing / misleading the serial numbers can be.

As Pete points out, I doubt that the mystery will ever be solved.......

Postby bwalters » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 pm
I don't have any of them so what do I care. Oh wait I can use that for incase I get lucky enough to get one. BTY I really do care. Bill

Postby SmurfingH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:35 am
Thanks Moey. :-D
Page 1 of 2

Login