Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby Gerda » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 am
Does anyone know any more about these boxed sets, like what year they where sold and how many where made? I put the pictures on my website so to make it easier to view, all the information I have on them are on there too but I would love to learn more about them if anyone knows.
here is the link to my page
http://www.kickingtheblues.com/pvc/boxedsets.html

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:36 am
They are really nice boxsets Gerda. I couldn't tell you off hand when they were released. I do have a listing of which smurfs were added and discontinued each year, but I am not sure that these Smurfs included in those packages would match up to any of those. I think these may of been specially released sets that do not co-incide with the normal production of what Smurfs were released each year.

I am guessing you would of searched the boxes for a copyright year, so that's probably a silly thing to mention. :o Other than that I am not too sure.

I think you would need to find out what was the newest Smurf or Smurfs that were made.....as we can be pretty sure they wouldn't of been released before the normal production of them were released. Then I guess you can kind of figure out a time frame of when they could of been released as we know these haven't been in production in recent years.

I am sorry I couldn't give you anything more than that......it would be nice to know which year these were released though.....I am guessing it was only one year that they were available.

Dyar

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 am
It is interesting that set 5 includes some fairly common older smurfs with the fairly rare evening gown couple.

I don't assume there is any way you can see the markings on the smurfs, Gerda? I wonder if they have different markings, like the smurfs that have been released with various magazines :-?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Gerda » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:49 am
I did check for a copywrite and could not find one. The few smurfs that I can see markings on are all W. Germany. I told Robert that I could use one of those dentist mirrors as most of the smurfs markings are on the bottom and to see it I would have to break the box. which I wont do or unpack them.

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 am
Maybe one of our German members knows more about them :D

In the danger of stating the obvious (again)...it seems they were originally released in Germany by Schleich

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby SmurfingH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:17 am
They're very nice items. :-D

Postby Simon X » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:41 am
I can't help either, as I haven't seen them before, but I really like them. :D

According to the timelines from the DSK, they could have been sold in 1986...The gown smurfette was only sold in 86, 87 and 89...In 87 and 89 many of the smurfs on the boxes were discounted.
So, I think you should check whether all the smurfs were sold in 1986. :D

Postby Lia » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:49 pm
I never saw them either, but...wow...what a beauties!

Lia

Postby steveparkes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 am
Hi Gerda, I have one of these sets (minus the outer box :( ) I know buffalo road character collectables had some (there is even a picture of one set) but there isn't any information..I think they are quite rare.
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Gerda » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:47 am
I did see that picture on buffalo road and actually know a collector who bought her sets from there, speaking of buffalo road.. does anyone know when they will reopen there site? they where under construction all summer and I still get the same page that says we are redoing it.. Or do I just have an old link. Anyone know? :-?

gerda
happily smurfing along
Postby Jan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:26 am
Gerda,

I checked through some old receipts and found the one for the 7 playsets. I purchased mine from Buffalo Road on November 1, 1989. I also looked at some old price lists that I have from Buffalo Road and the JULY 1989 UPDATE & SPECIAL ITEMS list has these listed as **NEW FOR 1989**. At that time they sold for $12.00.

I cannot say for sure if they received these as soon as they were released or if they ordered them at a later date.

As for the markings on the figures, I have never opened the boxes but can see most of the markings. There is a variety:

Hong Kong Wallace Berrie
W. Germany
W. Germany with red, gold or black dot
Sri Lanka/black dot
Portugal/red dot

Hope this is of some help to you.

Jan

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 am
Thank you Jan, that narrows the release date down quite a bit :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:44 am
Good Job Jan :D

That's handy to know

Dyar

PS:
That you Jan
Two can play that game Moey :)

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:50 am
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:) :) :) :) :)

corrected :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Gerda » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:52 am
Thank you very much Jan, That does help. WOW you keep your receipts :shock:

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby FlamingO » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:28 am
Wow :love: What fantastic boxsets Gerda :-D They are one of my most favourite smurfy items ever seen 8)
At that time they sold for $12.00.
:banghead: :)

Postby JimEII » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:47 pm
I spoke to Colleen from Buffalo Road Imports this evening and she and her husband assures me they should be back up and running within a month. Changing servers, raising two active little boys on their farm, building a new barn, just to house all their PVC characters has kept them from finishing with the website.

What she remembers about the boxed sets is, that there were 7 sets distributed for one year only as an advertising ploy to generate renewed interest. She does not recall what year. She had a very large box in her basement many years ago and was asking $50.00 a set at the time, but when I was ready to invest in them she was sold out.

Jim

P.S. Thanks for the Birthday wishes. (Just another day, especially with 60 on the horizon)

Gerda: (Nothing from Tina)

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 am
I'm afraid that I'm unable to help out, Gerda. :( I have seen a set at the sister's fair about two years ago, but that was about all.

Postby Gerda » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:50 am
Thank you so much for the info Jim! :-D :-D I was wondering if my $40 a set was too much but seeing how much she sold them for I guess I actually got a deal.
Can't wait to see her new website!! (not that I need to be spending any money :) )

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby JimEII » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:25 pm
Buffalo Road Imports has some new activity, but still not quite finished.

Jim
Page 1 of 2

Login