Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 3
Postby puffuonecent » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:03 am
Hi All,

I thought about opening a forum on the Very First Smurf each received or bought. We can see how we all started smurfing and which was the first smurf that really smurfed us out. What you think?? :-D
Cogito ergo Smurf!
I think therefore I smurf!

Postby steveparkes » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:42 am
Hi puffuonecent, My first smurf was Hiker. I purchased him from a National Garage in the UK in the 70's.
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:14 am
Well my first smurf was Astro Smurf which I got in a Party Bag when I was 9 years old back in 1978. :-D

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 am
My first time smurf wasn't very good (Clown)...but they got better each time after that. :D

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:20 am
I wonder why someone bought you a Clown, Dyar? :) :) :) :dream:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:21 am
Dunno...maybe cos I have big feet :-?
Postby puffuonecent » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:44 am
Hi.

My first smurf was Money (20029). Got it as a present from my mother for passing the exams. I then got some two or three more by the end of summer. I name it 'puffu one cent' which means the 'one penny smurf'.

Cannot forget that feeling when I saw it for the first time on one of my mother's house stairs. Then (some 202 years ago) did not know that there were smurf toys and this was ... well heaven come true. Picture of my smurf is attached. A bit battered but not because I did not take care of it but because I used to take it wherever I went, even to the sea. I used to put it on a boat and let it sail.

Re-discovered smurfs earlier on this year while on a trip to Rome. Did not know they were still in production (that is the bad thing of living on a small island... some items cannot always be found!)

Now am back collecting smurfs. Just brought a bunch from a recent trip to Brussels two weeks ago. Can say that I am smurfing once again, like I was when I was a kid. What beautiful memories...... I can say that smurfs were my childhood!!

:-D
Cogito ergo Smurf!

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:33 pm
Good topic puffuonecent

This is my abridged smurf collection autobiography by me.. my first smurf was gymnast 20020.. I still have him and have never cleaned him as otherwise I wouldn't recognise him. He was the only smurf I had in the early 80s and he was alone till the mid 90s when I got six more smurfs for my office desk. Then in 2001 I found them on a local auction site and started collecting properly. To all the kids at primary school who had more smurfs than me, I say to you "HA!!". I am tempted to go back to my old primary school and revel in my new status as the kid with the most cool toys! Back then people said ones life was judged by this simple rule "The one with the most toys wins". I didn't have much when we were growing up, but back then other kids had collections of 10 or so.. I always felt excluded as I didn't have the money for the toys and so couldn't join in. But my smurf was always special to me as it was the only one I had for 25 years!

Back in the early 80s when they were being promoted here I had a book (king smurf) a bike safety flag, a smurf soccer maze game (the 1981 FIFA world cup was on) and pencil case... I still have all these in excellent condition.

"THIS IS YOUR LIFE" Kiwischlumpf.... 8)

Postby Brainy's Babe » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm
I posted this elsewhere a while ago. But it answers the question, not to mention brings back happy memories :-)

Quoth Brainy's babe

"Y'know I really can't remember how I was introduced to the smurfs *scratchs head* but I began my collection when my mum returned home from shopping one day and gave me a smurf figure she found in the market. It was the Brainy smurf with the pink glasses and made from a different material than the newer figures.
She asked me "That is your favourite isn't it? The one with the glasses?" They had more smurfs there and she took me to the markets the next day and I brought a couple more.

LOL! I never told anyone who my fav smurf was, I was so surprized she'd guessed!
"

So that's my story. I've moved house and so that particular Brainy smurf is somewhere in a box in my attic :( But I still have him. And I'm convinced he has pink glasses and not red :-?
I'm not sickly - I'm Brainy!

You ain't seen nothing 'till you've seen SMURFETTE.

Postby Rachel » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:57 pm
Hi puffuonecent, nice question. :D

I am sure I have remembered in the past but right now trying to remember it could be one of several. Possibly hanglider, hiker or flautist. I first had smurfs as a child during the National Garage promotions here in the UK in the late 70's then rediscovered them in 2000 on Ebay. :cool:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]
Postby puffuonecent » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:07 am
Hi all,

I totally understand you KiwiSchlumpf. When I was young and I was given my first smurf, I remember one day going to Valletta (Malta's capital) and there I saw a shop's window full (but really full of smurfs). Do you understand that, a whole shop window full of maybe 100s (I was a kid and everything looked BIIIG) smurfs all waiting to be bought. I couldn't afford to buy a lot but I remember that that day my mother bought me another one - papa smurf with the blackboard. I had few smurfs in my childhood, most of them got through a promotion that there was where you could exchange drinking bottle caps (I do not remeber how much but probably around 10) for 1 (just one!!!) smurf. Then all vanished. The Smurf Mania finished in Malta and my super blue heroes were gone. I thought that they were not made anymore till this year when while on my honeymoon I found smurfs in a shop in Italy. I nearly had a heart attack. My wife looked at me (as if saying ..... ah you will always be a small kid...) and yes I bought smurfs......... I bought smurfs.... and now I am spending most of my free time and most of (please do not tell my wife) most of my money on smurfs!!!!!

Once a smurf.....always a smurf.

And KiwiSchlumpf I totally agree I would love to go back to old primary school days when kids used to tease me cos their fathers got the better job.....now I got it and can spend my money on smurffffssssssssss!!! :beer:

Having said that all my smurfs are in mint or near mint condition except my fist one because I used to take it everywhere with me that at one point I think he felt frustrated and began tearing himself apart!!! :banghead:

However I can say just this... no matter how much smurfs I buy... the first one for me means something special and would not change it for anything in the world. I hope one day to have kids and I will then inject smurfism in their brains.... and guess which smurf I will give them as their number 1...... :-D
Cogito ergo Smurf!
Postby Brainy's Babe » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:49 am

And KiwiSchlumpf I totally agree I would love to go back to old primary school days when kids used to tease me cos their fathers got the better job.....now I got it and can spend my money on smurffffssssssssss!!! :beer:
:) I love it when life works out like that. Funny that of all the toy's we must of thrown out as we grew, we all seem to have kept our first smurf, probably unware that we would later resume the collection :)

I think my story is slightly different in that I got my first smurf when I was 16 :oops: :oops: :oops:

My job now requires that I return to college on a day release and, yes, people take the mick out of me for collecting smurfs :shock: :) :) :) I just laugh with them :D
I'm not sickly - I'm Brainy!

You ain't seen nothing 'till you've seen SMURFETTE.

Postby puffuonecent » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 am
Yeah non Smurfy people do not understand the feeling.....it's kind you either have or you don't.... smurfism is a gift.

By the way does any of you ever happened to collect smurfs stickers. In Malta we usually follow Italian TV. In Back in the 80s Panini published a smurf sticker album. I collected the stickers... it is somewhere in my mother's home.

A smurf a day keeps the doctor away! :-D
Cogito ergo Smurf!

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 am
I also rediscovered smurfs on honeymoon in 1999, I was in Innsbruck, Austria, and I came back with loads of them, my husband was having some serious doubts about what he had done marrying me I think when he saw what I was spending our money on!

I know someone in Malta who found a lot of old smurf shop stock so they have been sitting there for many years hidden away.

Postby puffuonecent » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:40 am
Hey you are making me feel welcome....

I love to hear I am not the only one around here.... so I am not crazy....this is normality... this is smurfism..... great.... it's like Harry Potter discovering there are others of his kind.... :witch: I feel like I found a family....

You know Karen, my wife (and smurf smurf her name is Karen too!!) always knew I was somewhat a kid. Always reading fantasy stories, you know lord of the rings, dragonlance, star wars and collecting figurines.... but then when I re-discovered smurfs.... well she thought I was going nuts.... now she does not let me put the smurfs in the unit before having a look at them herself.. she is becoming all the more Blue!!!! and last week I hired a Smurf DVD and wasn't allowed to watch it on my own..... this is becoming contagious... I can feel it.......... Soon she will be the new Gargamel of the house wanting to get all the smurfs for herself and God help me if I can stop her! :)

Ah by the way if your Maltese friend wants to sell any smurf let me know... you know I want more, I want more, I want more......

Beauty is in the eye of the smurf holder!

:xmas2: :turtle:
Cogito ergo Smurf!

Postby Yonna » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:59 am
I actually got many smurfs for my birhtday when I turned 10, 11 or 12. Than I don't remember. There were (I think) about 30 smurfs. The ones I remember were:

20001 Papa
20002 Normal
20005 Gold
20006 Brainy
20007 Angry
20009 Drummer
20010 Prisoner
20011 Laughing
20012 Mechanic
20013 Lute
20017 Mirror
20018 Crying
20020 Gymnast
20022 Author
20021 Sleepwalker
20023 Rock 'n Roll
20026 Sitting
20028 Gardener
20030 Torchbearer
20034 Smurfette
20043 Digger
20044 Lover
20045 Artist
20046 Emperor
20047 Trumpeter
20048 Flautist
20049 Tennis Star
20090 Jester
20148 Bricklayer
20100 Cake
20157 Grouchy
20161 Clumsy

I got about same amount of smurfs from my friend when she turned up the collecting. This was shortly after I got my first pour.
Go ahead! Smurf my day!

Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:35 pm
Hi puffuonecent, Yes I have a collection of stickers too.. I haven't actively sort them out, but like anything smurfy I have carefully gathered them when the occassion has pressented itself. If you are short of any particular numbers then given I'm not actively seeking them, then well I could post you them. Post a listing or a PM if you like.

I can definately relate to the feeling of seeing heaps of smurfs and then my parents buying my just the one and always having smurf envy for the other kids who's parents would buy them bags full. When I was a lad... (Oh dear I'm turning into one of those old people) .. I earned 20cents (1/5th of $1) a week pocket money living and doing chores on the farm (albeit kids chores like dishes, lawns, helping mum cleaning, cooking etc) when some of my school freinds whould be given $2-$5 a week to stay out of the way and because they lived in the town they had somewhere to spend their money. Smurfs cost $1 when they were being promoted back in the late 70s early 80s. bar humbug! :x

Oh and a final thing.. yes you are crazy.. but so are we!!! so I won't tell if you wont. :eek:

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:17 pm
Hiya, My first smurfs were the latern smurf , papa smurf and smurfette. \Way back in the seventies. When i was a little girl my dad used to take me with him to the National Garage to fill the car up with petrol. He would buy me smurfs each week when he filled the car up :-D Lucie

Postby XoioX2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:24 am
My first smurf was the pirate Smurf (I think!). I remember I used to play with it on my Playmobile Pirate boat!!!!!

Oh well... there was some great stories of stolen treasures, ships attacked and saving the day at the 11th hour... but sadly no smurfettes till much later... much much later... :) :) :)
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Tojo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:42 am
My 1st smurf was 40214 Hobby Horse followed by 40222 aeroplane. I didn't get any more until a few years ago when I got a smurf in a surprise egg & remembered that the other 2 were still in my parents attic. And so the collection started....
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:
Page 1 of 3

Login