Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 2 of 2

Postby XoioX2000 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:21 am
Wow! What an army!!!! :cool: :) :) :)

Are they about to invade the Smurf Village or to do they answer to Papa Smurf for their actions? :)
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:01 pm
My husband spends hours and hours painting his miniatures as well. :eek:
Hi Eggie, what sort of miniatures does he paint?
Hi Tim! He paints Warhammer Dwarves :banghead: Oh I mean, where's the whoopee emoticon? :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Tojo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:33 pm
Hi DrunkSmurf,

glad you like my army :D

My army represents Napoleons 4th Corps which fought in Russia in 1812 (War & Peace etc). It was led by Napoleon's stepson Eugene de Beauharnais (Josephine's son from her 1st marriage) & as he was Viceroy of Italy it was a mixture of Italian, French & Croatian regiments. I use the 'Men at Arms' series of books by Osprey for reference as well as the net (a great help). Osprey also has a Samurai Army reference book which is very good (my copy is somewhere in my parents attic back in England). I used this for my own Samurai army which I painted in the '80s. It's not as good as my Napoleonic army but it's ok (it's also much smaller!). If you're looking for samurai figures then here are a few links:-

http://www.dixon-minis.com/

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/

The figures I buy for my Napoleonic army are from Front Rank & I order these from England by phone usually although they now have an online order system.

http://www.frontrank.com/index.html

:cheers:
Tojo
en avance mes enfants
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:56 pm
Hi Tojo

I have a few Osprey books on Chinese-era soldiers--it's a great publisher (wish they weren't so pricey though...)

I had samurai army sets in the mid-80s from a Japanese model maker, but they were a plastic variety, about two inches tall. I glued arms, swords, and helmets on. Unfortunately, they didn't survive my parents' moves....

I'm going to inspect the links you provided. THanks!

Do you have photos of your old Japanese army?

Postby DrunkSmurf » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:05 pm
Hi Tim! He paints Warhammer Dwarves :banghead: Oh I mean, where's the whoopee emoticon? :)
I once had / still have a lot of Warhammer Skaven (the rat fellows).

As much as I liked Warhammer, I can't help sometimes thinking the price is exhorbitant. To the company's credit, on its website it teaches you how to make your own scenery, so it's not like they are a complete purse-grab.

They came out with plastic pieces in the mid-80s that were supposed to be an "economic alternative".

Yeah. Instead of 3 lead figures for $9, I could buy 20 plastic figures for $36.

Did your husband ever play the Warhammer computer game that came out in the late 1990s ("Dark Omen")?

Postby eggie smurf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 am

Yeah. Instead of 3 lead figures for $9, I could buy 20 plastic figures for $36.
Yeah I agree!! Great bargain....not!
Did your husband ever play the Warhammer computer game that came out in the late 1990s ("Dark Omen")?
No, he didn't - he only just got into the miniatures and gaming about a year or so ago. I'm not going to tell him there was a computer game! I'll never see him then :) :)

Postby Tojo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Do you have photos of your old Japanese army?
I'll take a few pics in the next few days if I have time. The figures are a bit inconsistent size-wise as they are from different manufacturers. The oldest are from Citadel which were the forerunners of Warhammer. Then I bought Dixon figures which are much better but are a bit stocky looking. Oh well, unfortunately they are also gloss varnished something which I regret.

I nearly forgot, I also have a large Warhammer Bretonnia army with lots of knights, bowmen, men-at-arms etc. I've never played with them but just enjoyed building up an army.

:cheers:
Tojo

Postby DrunkSmurf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:26 pm
Hi DrunkSmurf,
If you're looking for samurai figures then here are a few links:-

http://www.dixon-minis.com/

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/

The figures I buy for my Napoleonic army are from Front Rank & I order these from England by phone usually although they now have an online order system.
Hi Tojo,

I liked Perry samurais best. The Dixon Samurai selection had a lot of "fantasy sorts" (guys running around with heads hanging from their halberds (naginatas). This looks "cool" but probably isn't realistic.

I was impressed by Perry's selection, too. Wish they'd branch to Chinese soldiers.... both an American and his successor, a Brit, led a Chinese mandarin army during the Taiping Revolt of the 1860s. But the history of that part of the world isn't as famous as Europe's. Japan, in the 13th century, had its share of far out commanders, including a general who supposedly decapitated himself with a swing of his over-sized sword rather than accept defeat. There was also a lot of fierce fighting between the Japanese and the Chinese over the Korean peninsula. But none of that has entered the mainstream over here.

Postby Tojo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:50 pm
Here's a link for Redoubt which have a range of Boxer Rebellion figures amongst their range. Lots of Chinese with assorted weapons. I have some of their French Napoleonics which aren't bad.

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/

Postby DrunkSmurf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:53 pm
Have you ever thought about what sort of army smurfs would field?

I'm guessing they would lean heavily towards irregular infantry. I'm not sure I see smurf cavalry (mounted on whatever). However, chariot-fighting seems possible. Maybe archers / officers in chariots? In the cartoons, smurfs favored irregular skirmisher tactics (rock throwers, and slingers) bolstered by equally irregular militias (smurfs with clubs and farm instruments). I thought I saw a show in which they deployed a catapult (read: onager; I think catapult originally referred to a ballista)

The smurfette cupid, however, raises the prospects of winged archers. Though unless she has abs of steel, I doubt her bow packs much velocity.
:mine: :mad: :arrow: :flame: :jump: :stars: :helpsign: :soapbox: :duel: :duel: :arrow: :worship: :mad: :mad: :banghead: :P

Postby Tojo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:48 pm
Ha ha, a funny idea DrunkSmurf. :) Papa Smurf & a selected few (those that aren't afraid of flying/heights) could drop stones whilst riding on the backs of storks 8-)

Watch out Gargie!!

Papa the Defender of Everything Mushroomy is recruiting. Smurfland needs you to fight the evil magician & his not very cuddly pussy :duel: :mad: :flame:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:56 pm
Smurfland needs you to fight the evil magician & his not very cuddly pussy :duel: :mad: :flame:
Yuck. Who was the poor smurf to discover Gargamel's pussy?

"Come along Az-ray-el. At least those no-good, miserable robbing smurfs won't make fun of me for being a hermaphrodite. Mummy always told me I should think of it as a gift. Bah! What use is a gift when it makes you the laughing-stock of wizard school?" :x

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 pm
I wonder if there are any PC games for Napoleonic wars ?

I'm playing ROME: Total War at the moment, its a great game, but i would like to play a Napoleonic battle now after seeing Tojo's collection ! I must love blitzing the enemy ! :) :)

:-D :beer:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 pm
I wonder if there are any PC games for Napoleonic wars ?

I'm playing ROME: Total War at the moment, its a great game, but i would like to play a Napoleonic battle now after seeing Tojo's collection ! I must love blitzing the enemy ! :) :)

Hi Smurfing Beer, on the American market, at least, there always seems to be a Napoleonic era game floating around. I think the latest one was (naturally) about Waterloo, with 3D soldiers (similar to Total War).

What do you think about Rome: Total War?

I'm still waiting for the price to sink to $20 (in America, the games start at $50, then shed $10 every six months until they hit $20, linger another year, and disappear).

But, I liked Medieval Total War (and Shogun: Total War (Pt 1)) before that. The AI sucks.... I guess I ought to look into network play. I just hate to get glued to it (I was formerly a video game junkie).

I keep waiting for SMURF: Total War to come out. Heh, maybe we should devise a SMURF: BATTLE! miniature war ruleset. I'm looking into buying some of the medieval siege weapons that Schleich and Papo sell with their Knights! toy lines.... or maybe playmobil stuff.... I don't remember who, but either Tojo or Xoxo posted a photo series with the playmobil castle.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Hi Tim ! ROME Total War is brilliant, i highly recommend it, you can choose who you want to be, but i always go one of the Roman Factions, the Roman's are split into 3 factions, and you build your empire from there, attacking other factions as you go along, its very detailed, but easy to play ! You can really kick some butt ! :D

I love any war games really, especially WW2 !

Smurf Total War sounds interesting ! :) :)

Postby eggie smurf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:21 pm
II'm playing ROME: Total War at the moment,
That's another game my hubby plays when he's not painting his Warhammer miniatures...you men, with your war figures, war games, and war tutus! :)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:30 pm
Never mind Staci, while he's playing games, you can surf e-bay on your computer ! :) :) :) Mrs Beer always says " Boys and there toys ! "

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:05 pm
That's another game my hubby plays when he's not painting his Warhammer miniatures...you men, with your war figures, war games, and war tutus! :)
:oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz: :oopz:

And, worse, I heard his better half collects smurf figures, smurf games, and smurf, er, tutus.

Postby eggie smurf » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:31 am
:sofunny::haha::sofunny:
Page 2 of 2

Login