Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:01 pm
Hi, in America, we're reaching the end of Chris Eccleston's run (second to last episode). I think he's the best doctor--the most "real" and the most convincing (Peter Davidson, then Tom Baker were my next favorites).

How do you like David Tennant? He has a pretty difficult act to follow. If he acts too much like Eccleston, he'll seem like a copycat, but if he is too nice, I think the show will lose some of its bite.

I'm impressed with the issues the series tackled (like death penalty, et cetera). Eccleston doesn't act like an American, and he doesn't act like a European. He seems to play a guy who thinks for himself, doesn't always have the answers, but is strong-willed enough to do what he thinks is right.

I feel sympathy for Tennant--how is he doing? (The new series won't hit the American Sci-Fi channel probably until Feb 2007).

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:26 pm
Tenant is doing just fine! I like him, I also had my doubts because Eccleston was so good but actually I think it will be Billie Piper who is hard to replace. :cheers:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:01 pm
I've warmed up to Billie Piper. In some of the earlier episodes, the sort-of romance between her and the doctor embarrassed me a little ("Rose, I just want to tell you how glad I was to have met you"). After Captain Jack joined up, though, the three became more like a group of adventurers.

I don't understand typecasting in showbiz (the reason Eccleston quit). I'll rent a bad movie just because a former doctor who stars in one. I guess it's the casting directors who don't want a "doctor who" to play the lead role in their very serious movie? It seems fans would want to follow the actor around.

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:32 pm
Hi Tim, I agree with Karen, David Tennant is doing a great job. I also thought it was going to be difficult to adjust as Chris Ecclestone was just so good but this series is IMHO just as good as the last. :-D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:25 pm
Danny has a nightmare every Saturday night after watching Dr Who. He's obsessed with it though so he'd go mad if we said he couldn't watch it. I think it was especially bad this time because it was a two-part episode so we don't see whether the Dr is ok until next week, and it was quite creepy. He crept into our bed at 1am and kicked me and Brian to pieces all night. I then had my own Dr Who nightmare which was really scary so I've felt shattered all day, I can't remember it now but it wasn't nice. I think I'm liking this series better than the last one actually, it seems a bit darker, not sure if others will agree.

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:55 pm
I definitely think the series has become good with suspense. I thought the first part of "Empty Child" (with the kid in the gas mask) was creepy. The regeneration episode plays next Friday, and I liked the build up to it.

Karen, do you remember any details from your Dr Who dream? I've read some of the descriptions for the new season, and they do look like they're getting more menacing. Is "Bad Wolf" related to the werewolf episode? Or, is that a long-running series joke? (Every episode has "Bad Wolf" in it).

Maybe I shouldn't ask. I notice the BBC is pretty careful about not giving story details away, even after the show has played.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:21 pm
Well I was bored to tears by tonight's Dr Who. Not nearly enough action! I think Danny who is a HUGE Dr Who fan was thoroughly disappointed. Did anyone else think it was a let down? :-?

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:22 pm
my name is danny i think the 10th doctors enemies were most frightening except the cyber men i wonder what the 11th doctor would look like.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:57 am
Dr Who (aka Danny) is my six year old son in case you hadn't guessed, he was keen to reply on this topic so I let him join the forum.
Page 1 of 1

Login