Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Bunno Smurf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:11 am
Is it on the news in any other countries about Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter?) He died today whilst filming a doco on stingrays. One of the stingray's barbs pierced his heart. I know hes a pretty big thing in the US..was wondering if hes well known in other countries?
:star: LINDA :star:
Postby hfos » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:37 am
Hah, I almost started a thread about him a couple of hours ago when I first read that he'd died.
He was (I think) pretty well known here, he was in a commercial for mobile telephones or a telecom provider or something like that last year.
Is it on the news in any other countries about Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter?) He died today whilst filming a doco on stingrays. One of the stingray's barbs pierced his heart. I know hes a pretty big thing in the US..was wondering if hes well known in other countries?

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:47 am
I almost started a thread about it to today when i heard the news.

When I was in Queensland 3 years ago I went to Australia Zoo that he runs.

So sad, he was a really lovely, happy go lucky guy. :(
One of a kind.

I feel sorry for his family, he has an 8 year old daughter and 2 and a half year old son.

He will definately be missed :rip:

Here's a copy of the news article :

Irwin died 'doing what he loved best'
5:56 PM September 4

The documentary producer working with Steve Irwin when he died in far north Queensland today has told of the naturalist and television star's last moments.

Police say the 44-year-old died when was stung through the chest by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

John Stainton says the fatal incident was unprovoked.

He says the wildlife expert and a cameraman were snorkelling across Batt Reef in shallow water at about 11:00 am AEST.

Mr Stainton says the cameraman was initially unaware of the fatal sting.

"He [Irwin] just swum over the top of the ray and the barb came up and hit him," he said.

"The cameraman said at the time he didn't even know that it had hit him [Irwin] and then he saw blood in the water."

Mr Stainton says Irwin died doing what he loved best.

"Today the world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," he said.

"He left this world in a peaceful and happy state of mind. He would have said, 'Croc's will'."

Police say a post-mortem examination will be conducted on Irwin's body this evening.

Irwin was born in Victoria in 1962.

His father was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

In 1991, Irwin took over the family business and a year later launched his Crocodile Hunter television program, which turned him into a household name in the US.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

'Huge loss'

Politicians and the tourism industry have paid tribute to Irwin.

Prime Minister John Howard says Irwin's death is a "huge loss" for the nation.

"He was the genuine article, what you saw was what you got, he took risks, he enjoyed life, but he brought immense joy to millions of people, particularly to children, and it's just such a terrible loss and I feel very distressed and I'm quite upset," he said.

His death is featuring in news coverage around the world.

The BBC and CNN are including it in their news bulletins.

The story is also being carried on websites from New Zealand to Britain and the United States.

One of Irwin's biggest critics has remembered the television star as an Australian icon who will be sadly missed.

Director of Crocodylus Park Graeme Webb says despite them being at loggerheads over crocodile safari hunting, Irwin's legacy will live on.

"He was a champion for crocodile conservation. He should be able to rest assured that crocodiles will be conserved long after he's gone and he's contributed to that process, so I guess that's my main memory of him," he said.

Locals pay their respects

Locals have laid flowers at the entrance to Irwin's Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast as a mark of respect.

Many have described him as a great adventurer and Australian who lived life to the fullest.

Those that live near the zoo say Irwin helped put the Sunshine Coast on the map.

A statement from Australia Zoo describes him as a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet.

Source: ABC
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 am
yes, it was on the front page of Yahoo news in America... I have never watched him, as I do not have cable or satelitte TV, but I have heard a lot of people talk about his shows even before today. They either enjoyed watching him a lot or thought him just crazy, but watched anyway.
Today is Labor day in America, that means a day off, so I haven't heard many people speak about his death, but I am sure we will all talk about him tomorrow at work..
It is really sad news.. may I ask what kind of animal that was that killed him? :-?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:00 am
It is really sad news.. may I ask what kind of animal that was that killed him? :-?
It was a Stingray Maureen, they have barbs on the end of their tails.
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:27 am
I saw in on the news today and I was shocked.

He was a good men for the whole nature!

God bless him and will take care of him now!

Michelle

Postby JT » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:32 am
I have heard of him. Sad thing...

I´m sorry for my ignorance, but what kind of animal is Stingray?

JT

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:36 am

Postby JT » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:44 am
Oh, yes. Now that you mentioned it, I should known this one.
Thank you.

JT

Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 am
thanks for posting the picture.... I am pretty ignorant about fish and the like..... :???: (sorry Staci :( )
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby steveparkes » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:00 am
I never realised that Stingrays have barbs at the end of their tails..nasty.

Terrible news about Steve Irwin..have heard of him over here in the UK..thoughts with his family :(
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby XoioX2000 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:12 am
It was on the BBC radio this morning and it is also now on the website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 311298.stm

Picture of him:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/5311848.stm

I love that guy: he was completely wacko but in the same time he had a great way to make you share his experience with various animals. The work that he has done for the conservation of various species... He was very often on TV here in the UK.

He really must have got a little to close to that Stingray: Apparently it is the first ever recorded death in Australia from one of them. They use their venom in defense rather than attack... Can't believe something like this could happen to him. :(

We went to the London Aquarium with my daughter a while back and she stroke the back of some small Stingrays: I believe the barb from small ones is not dangerous. The one that Steve got stung by must have been a big'un... I think they said he was hit on the chest, close to the heart... which again, is just more bad luck: he probably would have survived if he would have been hit somewhere else...

It sounds like a freak accident...

Then again you would have never thought that guy would have passed away quietly in his bed from old age.

At least he was doing what he loved best. You have to give him 110% just for that alone...
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Tojo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:07 am
It was on the news here in Germany too. I must admit I hadn't heard of him before but he seems to have been a whacko if you ask me. You wouldn't get me playing with crocs.

Apparently his reports were pulled from German TV after he appeared with a croc with his baby son on his arm. The company decided he was to irresponsible I think (the hunter not the baby :) )
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Rachel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:24 am
It was on the news first thing this morning on our local radio show.

Such sad and shocking news as IMHO he has done wonderful things for both wildlife and Australia. He was often on TV over here. Such a shame as he is leaving a very young family as well....... :???:

My fondest memory of him

"I'll just stick my thumb in his butt hole, that should do the trick!"

A very sad loss. :rose:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:30 am
I read that this morning and felt really sad, we thought he was incredible.

Postby attombomb7 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:09 pm
hi!

I was Image shocked! and

Imagesurprised, as I only heard about this when I opened this post.

I havn't watched the TV or anything this weekend..

I also do remember what a happy go lucky guy this was! and to go
so young is a sad :( Shame!. How awful.
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:45 pm
Hi guys, we've just seen the news and heard about Steve Irwin. I can't beleive it either. It was such a freak accident. Of all the things you could've imagined happening to him, with all his crazy stunts , never would you imagine him being killed in this way. We loved to watch his show, and his passion for all wildlife was incredible . Lucie& Simon

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:12 pm
I could not believe this when i heard the news this morning ! I know some people did'nt like him because he done a couple too many crazy stunts, but he could not be faulted for the endless work he did ! He believed in what he was trying to do, and he did succeed in his work ! Animals, mammals the world over, have benefited from him over the years ! I will miss watching him, i appreciated the work he did, and which ultimately took his life ! Now that's dedication ! May his fantastic work continue, and may he never be forgotten !

Thank you Steve Irwin ! :D

:-D :beer:

Postby Nuts about smurfing » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:20 pm
I heard this news first thing this morning and I was very sad. Both Louisa and I loved to watch him. He has done some crazy things but overall he was entertaining and seemed to really love the animals that he was documenting.

Funnily enough we were watching a few episodes of Crocodile Hunter on Sunday that were being shown in a row, on one of the Sky channels. It is so sad to think that he was possibly filming his last moments during this time.

:rip: :rose:
Mark
Smurfcount: 726 - Regulars needed: 2 - Supers needed: 27 - Promos, sockels & other stuff needed: 213,445,387,675,897,789

Postby Bunno Smurf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:46 pm
Hi David,

They are definitely saying it was a freak accident here. They had an expert from the Sydney aquarium on last night and he said they are pretty docile creatures who only attack when they get spooked. One swam over him (he was in a tunnel with a glass roof) as he was talking and it had a "wingspan" of about 2m at least. Some of those rays are huge. He was also showing us one of the barbs. It was about 30cm long and the thickness of a finger. It looked pretty deadly.

Apparently his reports were pulled from German TV after he appeared with a croc with his baby son on his arm. The company decided he was to irresponsible I think (the hunter not the baby :) )
Hi Tojo,

Most Australians would agree he's a little whacko but basically a loveable loon. Its like when Princess Di died over here at the moment. He's the lead story on every channel and they are replaying his interviews and docos. They replayed an interview he did a few years ago with Andrew Denton which was shortly after the baby and croc incident. He was saying in that interview that he let his daughter, Bindi, hold a carpet snake because she wanted to. (I think they're not venomous) he said he told her it would bite her but let her anyway. She was rocking it and singing rock-a-bye-baby and it bit her on the nose. She got it off and then it bit her again. He said "I told you so". He said she had blood pouring down her face and he was proud of her. :eek: :eek: So yeah I think he was a little irresponsible with his kids but he certainly was a character and did a lot for conservation in Australia.
:star: LINDA :star:
Page 1 of 2

Login